Advertising is a fantastic industry, but actually getting a job (or even your foot in the door) can seem next to impossible. Whether you're a student or a young professional loaded with questions, this one-of-a-kind guide shows you how to land a job and how to thrive once you're in and the pressure is on.
Authors Nancy Vonk and Janet Kestin are seasoned creative directors and longtime creative partners. In Pick Me, these industry leaders answer your toughest ad career questions, like:
- Is advertising right for me?
- How do I build a killer portfolio?
- How do I get an interview with the elusive creative director?
- Should I accept an unpaid internship?
- How do I find the right partner?
- How do I beat creative block?
- How do I avoid burnout?
Plus, fourteen industry superstars share their insights and explain how they broke into the business. You'll hear from Bob Barrie, Rick Boyko, David Droga, Mark Fenske, Neil French, Sally Hogshead, Mike Hughes, Shane Hutton, Brian Millar, Tom Monahan, Chuck Porter, Bob Scarpelli, Chris Staples, and Lorraine Tao.
Forget the clichés this is advertising as it really is. If you're hell-bent on making it, this informative guide will put you on track for a career in one of the most exciting businesses on the planet.
|Series:||Adweek Book Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 9.02(h) x 0.71(d)|
Table of Contents
Foreword: Rick Boyko.
Introduction: The View from Down Here: Ignacio Oreamuno.
PART I: BREAKING INTO ADVERTISING.
1. Was I really Put on This Earth to Do Ads?
2. School Daze.
3. What's a Good Ad, Anyway?
4. Portfolio Preparation: Like Giving Birth, Only More Painful.
5. Getting a Job in This Lifetime: It Can be Done.
6. Internships: Purgatory, Rip-Off, or Free Education?
7. What Place Is Right For Me?
PART II: YOU'RE THE CHOSEN ONE. NOW WHAT?
8. Money-Not That You Care About that.
9. Fear and Self-Loathing: Snap Out of It.
10. Brainstorming Techniques (You're Going to Need Them).
11. Awards. Yes, They Matter. How the Judges Decide.
12. Boss Problems: Try Not to Kill Him. Or Sleep with Him.
13. Partner Problems: Do You Need Counseling, a Divorce, or a Gun?
15. Art Direction.
16. Account Executives: They're People, Too.
17. Identity Crisis.
18. Am I in the Wrong Place?
19. Ethics in Advertising: Not Necessarily an Oxymoron.
20. CD Life (Be careful what You Wish For).
21. Women: The Vanishing Act.
22. Age(ism): Is 39 the New 65?
23. Staying Sane in an Insane Business.
24. Miscellaneous: The Best Chapter of Any Book.
25. Strangest Questions: Maybe Even better than Miscellaneous.
PART III: BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! THE GURUS SHARE YEARS OF COLLECTIVE WISDOM, AND EMBARRASSING PHOTOS.
26. what I Know Now That I Wish I'd Known Then.
27. What I Look for in a Junior.
28. A Century Ago, We Were Juniors, Too.
Appendix: The Inspiration Grab Bag.