Picture Stories: Language and Literacy Activities for Beginners / Edition 1 available in Paperback
The Picture Stories Series is perfect for students with little or no literacy skills in English or in their first language. The authors present stories about immigrant families' experiences when they first arrived in the United States, which students are certain to understand. Literacy skills as well as more complex tasks in listening, speaking, reading, and writing are learned, practiced, and reinforced using these different picture stories as the focus for each unit.
Picture Stories: Language and Literacy Activites for Beginners , by Fred Ligon and Elizabeth Tannenbaum, is for students at Literacy level.
See also More Picture Stories: Language and Problem-Posing Activities for Beginners.
Table of Contents
1. ½ Cup A man puts too much soap in a washing machine.
2. 911 A woman calls this number when her baby swallows poison.
3. Checkout Counter A woman pays for her groceries in a supermarket.
4. Dr. Lee A man is embarrassed when he discovers his doctor is a woman.
5. Exact Change A man needs change for a dollar to ride the bus.
6. Four-Day Job A man loses his new job after going to work late.
7. Gas A woman forgets to turn off the gas.
8. Midnight A woman encounters a stranger at a bus stop after work.
9. The Neighbor’s Kitchen A woman is invited to have a cup of coffee by a neighbor.
10. Numbers A man has difficulty following directions.
11. One Day’s Work The wife works in a factory and her husband works at home.
12. Pay Phone A man’s suitcase is stolen while he makes a telephone call.
13. Pickles A woman opens a jar of pickles in a supermarket.
14. The Shower A man uses the bathtub improperly and water leaks downstairs.
15. Small Fire A man runs downstairs to report a fire to his boss.
16. The Wrong Message A woman’s message to her friend is delivered incorrectly.