The Pig ’N Whistle restaurants operated from 1908 to 1968 at more than 40 locations on the West Coast, from Los Angeles to Seattle. These elegant lunch rooms in San Francisco, Oakland, Beverly Hills, Pasadena, and elsewhere were born out of the great 1906 San Francisco Earthquake when hotelier John H. Gage left Hotel America and the rubble on Market Street to make a fresh start. He opened a soda fountain next door to Los Angeles City Hall in 1908 and soon returned to San Francisco to open a second in the newly rebuilt White House Department Store. Dutch immigrant Sidney Hoedemaker became the chain’s president, and under his direction, Pig ’N Whistle added Melody Lane, one of the first L.A. restaurants to open a cocktail bar, a development mirrored in the Hollywood film noir classic, Mildred Pierce.Restaurateur Chris Breed and partner Alain Hajjar reinvigorated the memory of the Egyptian Theatre Pig ’N Whistle by reestablishing the classic franchise in 2001 on Hollywood Boulevard.
About the Author
Author Veronica Gelakoska, a former waitress in some classic, long-gone diners, is a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts, collects restaurant memorabilia, and enjoys re-creating vintage recipes. This book’s evocative photographs were gathered from public and private collections.
Table of Contents
1 From the Ashes 9
2 Up and Down the Coast 21
3 Downtown Los Angeles 31
4 Hooray for Hollywood! 59
5 Melody Lane 71
6 Hollywood's Most Famous Corner 95
7 Hody's, the 1950s, and Beyond 109