Offers pragmatic information on the realities of day-to-day practice from some of the most innovative, respected, and visionary leaders in the planning profession today. Bridging the gap between theory and practice, this guide provides straightforward lessons from today's most effective planners on the core values, skills, and techniques needed for success. Through personal, real-life examples from the trenches, these experts explain in their own words what works, what doesn't, and why.
|Series:||Public Administration Series|
|Product dimensions:||6.34(w) x 9.63(h) x 1.07(d)|
Table of Contents
1. Pursuing Effectiveness and Personal Success in the Next Era (Norman Whitaker).
2. How to Become a Successful Planner (Sergio Rodriguez).
3. The Ten Habits of Highly Effective Planners (Richard C. Bernhardt).
4. Five Commitments That Can Make a Difference (Paul A. Bergman).
5. What They Don't Teach You in School (Jim Reid).
6. Thirty How-To's for Success (Paul C. Zucker).
7. Organizing and Managing for Success (Keith L. Cubic).
LESSONS ON POLITICS.
8. Guidelines for Survival and Success (Linda L. Davis).
9. The Principles of Community Alignment and Empowerment (Gene Boles).
10. Making a Difference with Equity Planning (Norman Krumholz).
11. A New Vision on Collaborative Public Service (Elizabeth L. Hollander).
LESSONS ON EFFECTIVENESS.
12. Core Values and Principles for Effective Planning (Robert W. Becker).
13. Visioning for Tangible Results (John A. Lewis).
14. The Five Principles of Effective Practice in a Participatory Democracy (V. Gail Easely).
15. Tooling Up for Effective Planning (Angela N. Harper).
16. It Seemed Lie a Good Idea at the Time (Marjorie W. Macris).
LESSONS ON CUSTOMERS.
17. Gaining Credibility and Trust Through Teaching, Patience, and Timing (Robert W. Marriott Jr.).
18. The Six Operating Principles of Effective Customer Service (Bruce W. McClendon).
19. Helping Customers Solve Their Problems (Ray Quay).
20. The Planner as Entrepreneur (Floyd Lapp).
21. Attitude, Professionalism, and Opportunity (William W. Bowdy).
22. Understanding and Improving the Management of Planning Agencies (Stuart Meck).
Conclusion: Lessons Learned.
Afterword (Ted Gaebler).