Point of view (POV) is one of the most powerful tools in a writer’s kit, but it’s also one of the hardest to understand and master.
In this book, Sandra Gerth draws on her experience as an editor and a best-selling author to teach you how to handle point of view in a way that will make your readers identify with your main character, draw them into the story, and keep them captivated until the very last page.
The book provides concrete examples and exercises that will hone your writing skills.
Whether you’re a novice writer working on her first story or an established author, this book will help you to:
- Discover what point of view is and why it’s so important.
- Understand the different types of point of view such as first-person, third-person, omniscient, and deep POV.
- Choose the point of view that works best for your story.
- Write a novel from multiple viewpoints without confusing your readers.
- Avoid head-hopping and other POV violations that would throw your readers out of the story.
- Write internal monologue and take your readers deeply into your character’s mind.
- Create suspense and tension by using POV techniques.
- Let your readers experience events through your main character’s eyes to get them emotionally involved in your story.
About the Author
Sandra Gerth is a writer and an editor who divides her time between writing her own books and helping other writers revise and polish theirs. She holds a degree in psychology and worked as a psychologist for eight years before transitioning into a career as a full-time novelist—the best job in the world as far as she’s concerned. She earned a certificate in editing from the Academy of German Book Trade and is now the senior editor of Ylva Publishing, a small press that publishes women’s fiction. Under her pen name, Jae, she has published an ever-growing number of novels, novellas, and short stories, most of them in English and in German. Her books have won numerous awards and have been #1 bestsellers on Amazon on various occasions. She’s also the author of a series of nonfiction books for writers, including Goal Setting for Writers and Time Management for Writers.