Cutting-edge, user-friendly, and comprehensive: the revolutionary guide to the brain, now fully revised and updated
At birth each of us is given the most powerful and complex tool of all time: the human brain. And yet, as we well know, it doesn't come with an owner's manual—until now. In this unsurpassed resource, Dr. Pierce J. Howard and his team distill the very latest research and clearly explain the practical, real-world applications to our daily lives. Drawing from the frontiers of psychology, neurobiology, and cognitive science, yet organized and written for maximum usability, The Owner's Manual for the Brain, Fourth Edition, is your comprehensive guide to optimum mental performance and well-being. It should be on every thinking person's bookshelf.
- What are the ingredients of happiness?
- Which are the best remedies for headaches and migraines?
- How can we master creativity, focus, decision making, and willpower?
- What are the best brain foods?
- How is it possible to boost memory and intelligence?
- What is the secret to getting a good night's sleep?
- How can you positively manage depression, anxiety, addiction, and other disorders?
- What is the impact of nutrition, stress, and exercise on the brain?
- Is personality hard-wired or fluid?
- What are the best strategies when recovering from trauma and loss?
- How do moods and emotions interact?
- What is the ideal learning environment for children?
- How do love, humor, music, friendship, and nature contribute to well-being?
- Are there ways of reducing negative traits such as aggression, short-temperedness, or irritability?
- What is the recommended treatment for concussions?
- Can you delay or prevent Alzheimer's and dementia?
- What are the most important ingredients to a successful marriage and family?
- What do the world's most effective managers know about leadership, motivation, and persuasion?
- Plus 1,000s more topics!
About the Author
Pierce J. Howard, Ph.D., is director of research and development for the Center for Applied Cognitive Studies in Charlotte, North Carolina. Since the first edition of The Owner's Manual for the Brain was published in 1994, Dr. Howard has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and conducted countless seminars around the world. He is a member of the American Psychological Association, the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, and the International Test Commission.