About the Author.
*Introduction: How to Get the Most from Productive Workplaces Revisited.
*1. A Personal Prologue: Discovering Theories X and Y.
Part One: The Search for Productive Workplaces.
2. Scientific Management Revisited: A Tale of Two Taylors.
3. The Consulting Engineer: Taylor Invents a New Profession.
4. Lewin: The Practical Theorist.
5. The Learning Organization: Lewin’s Legacy to Management.
6. McGregor and the Roots of Organization Development.
7. The Human Side of Enterprise Revisited: A New Look at Theories X and Y.
8. Undoing Taylorism: Emery, Trist, and the Sociotechnical Revolution.
*9. Open Systems and the New Paradigm: How Emery and Trist Redefined the Workplace.
Part Two: Transforming Theory into Practice and Practice into Theory.
*10. Adding Action to Research: Lewin’s Practice Theory Road Map.
*11. Methods of Diagnosis and Action: Taking Snapshots and Making Movies.
*12. Rethinking Organizational Improvement: New Perspectives on Consultation.
*13. Improving Whole Systems: Alternatives to the Report-in-the-Drawer Phenomenon.
*14. Management Training in Academic Medicine.
*15. Productivity After Taylor: Systems Learning Replaces Expert Analysis.
Part Three: Learning and Applying New Practice Theories.
16. Managing and Consulting in the 21st Century.
17. Transforming Teamwork: Working Relationships in a Fast-Changing World.
18. Designing Work: Structure and Process for Learning and Self-Control.
*19. Managing and Consulting Beyond the Design Limits: Changing Everything at Once.
*20. Future Search: Evolving a Whole Systems Improvement Strategy.
*21. Improving Whole Systems Worldwide.
*22. How There and Then Looks from Here and Now: Ten Cases Revisited.
*Epilogue: Still Caught Between Paradigms: Where Do We Go from Here?
* Indicates new chapters or includes updates written for this edition.