Professional Garde Manger: A Comprehensive Guide to Cold Food Preparation / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
This much-awaited text provides a complete look at this specializedarea in the culinary arts. Professional Garde Mangerpresents culinary students and professional working chefs with thecomprehensive and visual coverage of everything they need to knowto master the cold kitchen. This definitive new text on gardemanger work provides step-by-step techniques and procedurescovering over 450 recipes and more than 750 recipe variations forthe garde manger chef. Illustrated with line drawings andmore than 500 new photos, it covers topics ranging from simplesalads to mousellines and charcuterie specialties to careers in thefield.
- Same proven pedagogical features and easy-to-follow recipelayout as Professional Cooking andProfessional Baking, including chapter pre-requisitesand objectives and key terms.
- Focus on teaching and mastering skills necessary to besuccessful as a garde manger chef, with reinforcement in practicingrecipes provided.
- Sidebars throughout the text present special topics, includingThe History of... and The Scienceof... boxes, which add interesting insight and detail
- Over 500 new photographs illustrate by step-by-step processesand techniques and beautifully presented finished dishes
- More than 450 new recipes and over 750 recipe variationscombine to offer the most comprehensive selection of recipesencompassing numerous styles and techniques available
- Plating blueprint diagrams accompany many finished dish recipesshow how the final presentation is built
- Thoroughly revised and updated, WileyCulinarE-CompanionTM RecipeManagement Software now includes video clips demonstratingbasic skills for use as prework or review, and contains all recipesfrom the book and more!
|Product dimensions:||8.80(w) x 10.90(h) x 1.50(d)|
About the Author
Lou Sackett is a food writer and culinary educator who has written for both local and national culinary publications. Having taught previously at The Restaurant School in Philadelphia, she currently teaches at Dauphin County Technical School in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Jaclyn Pestka is a regionally acclaimed restaurant chef with a specialty in world cuisines. Her tenure as chef instructor at The School of Culinary Arts in York, Pennsylvania led to her work in garde manger and expertise in charcuterie. She is now executive chef of Channels Food Rescue in Central Pennsylvania.
Wayne Gisslen (Consulting Author) is the author of the best-selling series of culinary books that includes Professional Cooking, Professional Baking, Advanced Professional Cooking, and Essentials of Professional Cooking, all published by Wiley. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, he has written and worked extensively in the field of culinary arts.
Table of Contents
Recipe Table of Contents.
How to Use This Book.
1.The Garde Manger Profession.
The History of Garde Manger.
The Successful Garde Manger Chef.
Opportunities in Garde Manger.
Garde Manger Facilities and Equipment.
2. Sauces and Dressings.
Introduction to Emulsion Sauces.
Classic Mayonnaise Sauces.
Contemporary Mayonnaise-Based Sauces and Dressings.
Cold Sauces Made from Vegetables and Fruits.
3. Simple Salads and Tossed Salads.
Salads Made from Leafy Greens.
Purchasing Salad Greens.
Cleaning, Fabricating, and Storing Salad Greens.
Four Methods of Preparing Simple and Tossed Salads.
4. Cold Vegetables and Fruits.
Vegetables in Garde Manger Work.
Applications for Cold Vegetables.
Fruits in Garde Manger Work.
Applications for Fruits and Fruit Dishes.
Purchasing, Storing, and Managing Produce.
Preparing Vegetables for Raw Service.
Cooking Vegetables and Fruits.
5. Complex Salads.
Understanding Complex Salads.
Understanding Arranged Salads.
6. Cold Seafood.
Understanding Seafood Classifications.
Types of Cold Seafood Dishes.
Cooking Methods for Cold Seafood.
Seafood Served Raw.
Raw Shellfish Specialties.
7. Cold Meats.
Applications for Cold Meats.
Preparing Cold Meat Products.
Raw Meat Dishes.
8. Cold Soups.
Understanding Cold Soups.
Preparing Cold Soups.
9. Garde Manger Sandwiches.
The Four Basic Sandwich Elements.
Types of Sandwiches.
Sandwich Procedures and Recipes.
10. Cold Hors d’Oeuvres.
Understanding Hors d’Oeuvres.
Types of Hors d’Oeuvres.
Presenting Hors d’Oeuvres.
Serving Hors d’Oeuvres.
11. Cured and Smoked Foods.
Ingredients for Cured Foods.
Introduction to Smoked Foods.
Equipment for Smoking.
The Smoking Procedures.
Foods Preserved in Fat.
The Anatomy of a Sausage.
Types of Sausages.
Equipment for Sausage Making.
The Four Phases of Sausage Production.
13. Pâtés, Terrines, and Charcuterie Specialties.
Pâtés and Terrines.
Equipment for Pâté Production.
Preparing Pâtés and Terrines.
Galantines, Ballottines, and Pâté Roulades.
Storing and Presenting Pâtés.
14. Cheese and Other Dairy Products.
Fresh Dairy Products.
Fermented Dairy Products.
Introduction to Mousselines.
Understanding Mousseline Forcemeats.
Ingredients for Mousselines.
Preparing Mousseline Forcemeats.
16. Aspic and Chaud-Froid.
The Challenge of Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
Surface Décor for Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
17. Condiments, Embellishments, and Décor.
18. Buffets and Food Bars.
Appendix: Basic Preparations.