Professional Palm OS Programming is everything programmers need to create applications for the world’s most popular operating system for handheld devices.
Veteran Palm developer Lonnon Foster, who has been developing commercial applications for the platform since its introduction nearly a decade ago, provides readers with hands-on instruction, lots of code, and advice that only comes from the trenches – giving readers everything they need to build cutting edge applications and take advantage of the features of both Garnet and Cobalt. Coverage includes:
- Building forms, menus and user interfaces
- Managing memory
- Tying into Palm’s standard applications such as the Calendar, Phonebook, or Tasks
- Storing program data on removable storage cards
- Building network enabled applications
- Creating web applications for Palm
- Working with Palm OS new support for Web Services
- Programm ing for new device features such as jog dials, rocker switches, 5-way navigators
- Working with sounds, graphics, multimedia, and new high-resolution color screens
- Encrypting and decrypting data
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and wireless networking
|Series:||Wrox Professional Guides Ser.|
|Product dimensions:||7.42(w) x 9.24(h) x 2.02(d)|
About the Author
Lonnon R. Foster is a programmer and writer who has spent the past nine years creating desktop applications, database front ends, Web sites, communications software, technical documentation, and handheld applications. He has been developing Palm OS applications almost as long as the platform has existed, starting with his first Pilot 5000 and progressing to more complicated wireless software for Symbol’s 1700 series. Lonnon fills his sparse free time with tactical tabletop gaming, recreational Perl coding, and reading everything he can get his hands on.
Glenn Bachmann is a noted author of several books and articles on Palm OS programming and mobile computing. Glenn is also president and founder of Bachmann Software, a leading provider of wireless file management, networking, backup, and printing software products for Palm OS, Pocket PC, and Symbian handheld computing platforms. Founded in 1994, Bachmann Software (www.bachmannsoftware.com) has established itself as a leading contributor to the mobile and wireless economy through its utility software products and partnerships with many of the key companies in the mobile computing arena. Bachmann’s PrintBoy, FilePoint, Mobile Backup, and Mobile Utilities are among the best-selling software utilities for handhelds and smartphones.