The award-winning first edition of The Promise of Mediation, published ten years ago, is a landmark classic that changed the field's understanding of the theory and practice of conflict intervention. That volume first articulated the "transformative model" of mediation, which greatly humanized the vision of how the mediation process could help parties in conflict. In the past decade, the transformative model has proved itself and gained increasing acceptance. It is now being used in such diverse arenas as workplace, community, family, organizational, and public policy conflicts, among others.
In this new edition, the authors draw on a decade of work in theory development, training, practice, research, and assessment to present a thoroughly revised and updated account of the transformative model of mediation and its practical application, including
- a compelling description of how the field has moved toward increasing acceptance of the transformative model
- a new and clearer presentation of the theory and practices of transformative mediation, with many concrete examples
- a new case study that provides a vivid picture of the model in practice, with a commentary full of new information about how to use it effectively
- clarifications of common misconceptions about the model
- a vision for the future that shows how the model can coexist with other approaches and where the "market" for transformative mediation is emerging
|Edition description:||Revised Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.34(w) x 8.98(h) x 1.07(d)|
Table of Contents
1. The Mediation Field: An Overview and Four Stories.
2. A Transformative View of Conflict and Mediation.
3. Gaining Sight of the Goal of Transformation.
4. Putting Transformative Theory into Practice: The “Purple House” Mediation, with Commentary—Part One.
5. Putting Transformative Theory into Practice: The “Purple House” Mediation, with Commentary—Part Two.
6. Myths and Misconceptions About Transformative Mediation.
7. Paths Toward the Future: Living with Differences in Values and Practice.
About the Authors.