* Updates include discussion of major initiatives such as the Millennial Development Goals, (MDG) to eliminate global poverty
* Examines changes in international politics and approaches to global terrorism following the US-led military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq
* Extensively revised facts and figures
The seventh edition of this perennial stalwart of the Kumarian Press list continues the discussion of the “new American hegemony” and the “war on terror” that began with the previous edition. In particular, Isbister addresses changes in international politics and the impact on the global order of the US-led military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. The author also focuses on major initiatives, such as the UN’s Millennium Development Goals, to confront the issue of world poverty. As with all editions of this vibrant text, Isbister writes with clarity and passion, not only about failed promises, but about hope, human potential, and the belief that a just and equitable world system is attainable.
|Publisher:||Kumarian Press, Inc.|
|Edition description:||Seventh Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.70(d)|
Table of Contents
2) A World of Poverty Five Lives / The Third World / The Extent of World Poverty / The Successes / Different Areas of the Third World Diverge / The Betrayal of Responsibility
3) Explanations of Underdevelopment Modernization Theory / Dependency Theory / Marxism / Limitations of These Approaches / Why Does Poverty Persist? / Assessment / The Theories as Worldviews
4) Imperialism The Creation of the European Empires / The Causes of Imperialism / The Culture of Imperialism / The Foundations of Third World Poverty / The Population Explosion / The Legacy of Imperialism
5) Nationalism and Independence The Origins of Third World Nationalism / The Indian Subcontinent / China / Vietnam / Algeria / Muslim and Jewish Nationalism / Islamic Fundamentalism / Sub-Saharan Africa / Latin America / The Nationalist Identity / The Legacy of Nationalism
6) Economic Development What Is Economic Development? / Population Control / False Paths to Economic Development / Development in the 1980s: Waylaid by the Debt Crisis / The 1990s: Rediscovering the Market and Exports
7) Foreign Policy The End of the Cold War / Foreign Policy during the Cold War: Globalism / The New American Hegemony / The War on Terrorism / The Illusion of the North-South Dialogue / A Constructive Foreign Policy / Military Spending and Policy / Human Rights Policy / Foreign Economic Policy / Can the Rich Cooperate with the Poor?
8) The Future: Justice in an Age of Globalization Globalization / A Hope for Partnership