Written in an informal, accessible style, this practical book equips future teaching professionals to effectively support emotional well-being, reduce problem behavior, and enhance social competence in toddlers, pre-schoolers, and primary-grade children. Based on the ECE-CARES Project, housed at the University of Colorado at Denver, text-advocated strategies are focused on five fundamental constructions: caring and cooperative early childhood settings, assertiveness through self-esteem and mastery, relationship skills, emotional regulation and reactivity, and self-control. The authors make use of numerous real-life examples to show how these strategies result in high rates of prosocial skills, positive peer interactions, and use of peaceful conflict resolution techniques. Chapter topics include complex influences on children's lives, class meetings and family involvement, creating a caring emotional environment, identifying and expressing emotions, peaceful problem solving, anger management and calming down, stress reduction, emotionally-responsive curriculum planning, and intervention for children with behavior challenges. For pre-K, primary grade, and special education teachers; and for elementary school administrative personnel, and other individuals involved in early childhood management.
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.30(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.50(d)|
Table of Contents
1. Complex Influences on Children's Lives.
2. Building Social Competence: Class Meetings and Family Involvement.
3. Structuring the Physical Environment to Enhance Social Development.
4. Creating a Caring Emotional Environment.
5. Identifying and Expressing Emotions.
6. Enhancing Prosocial Skills.
7. Peaceful Problem Solving.
8. Anger Management and Calming Down.
9. Stress Reduction.
10. Emotionally-Responsive Curriculum Planning.
11. Intervention for Children with Behavior Challenges.
A. Lesson Plans for "Friends" Theme.
B. Problem Solving in Action.
C. Lesson Plans for "Beginning of School" Theme.
D. Lesson Plans for "Bullying" Theme.
E. Getting Started in Your Classroom.
F. Blank Lesson Planning Forms.
G. Basic Classroom Preventive Practices.
H. Social Skills Inventories.