Hearing that you have prostate cancer, or even that you may have it, is very scary. But this disease, in many cases, is curable. Even if you have advanced cancer that's spread beyond the prostate, many treatments help extend your life for years. You need good information to help you with the decisions that lie ahead, and this book provides you with this information.
Prostate Cancer For Dummies can help you if
- You have prostate cancer (or you think that you have it), or someone close to you has it.
- You want information on treatments for prostate cancer as you form a treatment plan with your doctor.
- You are curious about alternative therapies for prostate cancer.
- You want to know what actions you can take over the long-term to continue to fight your prostate cancer.
Prostate Cancer For Dummies explains the key issues and problems that are associated with prostate cancer, and assures you that although the initial impact of being diagnosed is devastating, you can take action to extend your life.
You don't have to read this book from the first page straight on through, although you can. You may want to read the first chapter and then move to the chapters that affect you the most. In Prostate Cancer For Dummies, you'll gain insight into
- Discovering the key symptoms of prostate cancer
- Recognizing the risk factors, and who's most likely to have prostate cancer
- Getting a diagnosis, and what's involved
- Getting well again, and how you can work with your doctor to come up with a plan to cope with your cancer
- Changing your lifestyle to decrease your risk of a recurrence
- Coping with the aftermath, from temporary to permanent side effects
- Handling work and family, and how to help others understand what you're going through
It's extremely hard to hear from your doctor that you or a loved one has prostate cancer. But after you recover from the initial shock of diagnosis, you need to educate yourself, and, with the help of your physician, make a plan for getting the best treatment possible. Prostate Cancer For Dummies will help you achieve these goals and encourage you to maintain your commitment to managing your health.