Public Interest Lawyering: A Contemporary Perspective available in Paperback
- The first comprehensive overview of the broad range of contemporary issues faced by public interest lawyers in any American law school text.
- Thorough discussion of important theoretical issues about the scope and definition of public interest lawyering.
- Addresses American public interest law from a historical perspective with focus on current issues.
- Expansive examination of the settings in which public interest practice occurs, including nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and private law firms.
- Presents the advantages and limits of different legal strategies in public interest practice, including lobbying, public education, community organizing, and community economic development.
- Addresses contemporary challenges of public interest law in context, including economics and financing, legal ethics, the role of legal education, and the globalization of public interest practice.
- Discusses critiques of public interest law, including a reflection about the role of lawyers in social movements that addresses contemporary critiques.
- Ethical obligations of public interest lawyers.
- Explores special issues related to lawyer-client relations in social change contexts.
- Extensive coverage of:
- Models of law reform organizations.
- Conservative cause lawyering.
- Government lawyers.
- The economics of social change lawyering.
- Global social change lawyering.
Table of Contents
PART I: WHO PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERS ARE
CHAPTER 1: DEFINING PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING
CHAPTER 2: AMERICAN PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING: FROM PAST TO PRESENT
CHAPTER 3: POLITICAL IDEOLOGY AND PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING
PART II: WHAT PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERS DO
CHAPTER 4: PRACTICE SITES FOR PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING
CHAPTER 5: PUBLIC INTEREST ADVOCACY STRATEGIES
CHAPTER 6: THE PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYER-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP
PART III: CONTEMPORARY CHALLENGES FOR PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING
CHAPTER 7: LEGAL ETHICS IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST
CHAPTER 8: EDUCATING PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERS: OBSTACLES AND OPPORTUNITIES
CHAPTER 9: PUBLIC INTEREST LAWYERING IN GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE
PART IV: EPILOGUE
CHAPTER 10: NEW DIRECTIONS, ONGOING CHALLENGES