One Marine's gripping story of the bloody battles, the Surge, and the Awakening of Sunni tribes that changed the tide in Iraq's Anbar province
Seven minutes into the first patrol a firefight erupts. Quickly, the Marines of Rage Company became acquainted with the nature of counterinsurgency. Every day, more IEDs were planted than the Marines could clear. They avoided taking the same route twice, they never walked out in the open, and they steered clear of roads that hadn't been "swept" in the last hour. They were in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province and one of the deadliest cities in Iraq.
In November 2006, then First Lieutenant Thomas Daly arrived as part of the "surge" in Ramadi, to take part in Operation Squeeze Play, a division-size effort to remove al Qaeda from Anbar province. In this powerful memoir, he describes the successful clearing of southern Ramadi's Second Officer's district, the Qatana, and the uprising of local citizens against al Qaeda on the eastern edge of the city (the result of an unlikely alliance between Daly's company and Thawar al Anbar). From the first patrol to the last in the spring of 2007, he takes you inside the daily successes and struggles of the operation and the stressful challenge of trying to discern who was a terrorist and who was a civilian. He tells the powerful and very human story of a people who want to free their country, yet have no basis on which to trust the American forces in helping them succeed.
- "So vivid are Daly's descriptions that the reader can sense the tipping point and can anticipate that al Qaeda in Iraq will strike back savagely. What a tale Daly tells! You won't read this in textbook theories about counterinsurgency."
—Bing West, author and retired Marine general, from his foreword to Rage Company
- " Rage Company will stand apart from the many Iraq memoirs and histories already published."
—Nathaniel Fick, author of the New York Times bestseller, One Bullet Away
- "Tom Daly captures the uncertainty, chaos, fog and friction inherent in all combat. . . . In particular, he provides an inside, street-level look at the emergence of the Anbar Awakening. . . . Definitely belongs on the bookshelves of professionals."
—T. X. Hammes, Colonel, USMC (Ret) author of The Sling and the Stone
- A Marine's personal story of fighting an insurgency and overcoming a siege mentality to work with Iraqis to rout a common enemy, Al Qaeda
- Captain Daly's unique perception of the battlefield has been shaped while operating with units of the United States Army, Navy SEALs, ANGLICO (Air, Naval Gunfire Liaison Company), Iraqi Army and Police Units, and anti-Al Qaeda guerrillas
Filled with on-the-ground details and insights on military operations and strategy, Rage Company cements the accurate history of the unlikely alliance that redirected the Iraq War and set the course for operations in the future.
|Publisher:||Turner Publishing Company|
|Edition description:||First Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.40(w) x 9.40(h) x 1.40(d)|
About the Author
Table of Contents
Foreword Bing West ix
List of Maps xvii
Part 1 1st Battalion, 37th Armor 1
1 Becoming a Bandit: The Baptism 3
2 Detainee Watch 20
3 Fortress Ramadi 46
4 Master of Puppets 63
Part 2 1st Battalion, 6th Marines 81
5 Entering Qatana 83
6 Demons of Hurricane Point 106
7 The Battle of Christmas Day 133
8 A Dysfunctional Family 160
Part 3 1st Battalion, 9th Infantry 185
9 Silence the Dogs 187
10 The Scouts 213
11 Running Out of Luck 238
12 Deadly Games 278
13 By Way of Deception 301
14 A Dog's Dying Bite 325
15 Operation Squeeze Play: A Summary 346