Complete, up to date, how-to information on raising turkeys, form young poults to delicious, thick-breasted birds. This book covers:
• Selecting the right turkey for your flock.
• Housing, feeding, raising and dressing turkeys.
• Disease control and turkey health.
• Packaging, preserving and preparing turkey.
• Plans for a low-cost, small turkey shelter.
• Production costs, equipment and supplies.
• Addresses of state poultry specialists.
• Sources of information and supplies.
|Product dimensions:||5.51(w) x 8.66(h) x (d)|
About the Author
During author Leonard S. Mercia's career as University of Vermont (UVM) Extension Poultryman, he wrote many Extension Service publications for small-scale poultry raising. He was professor of animal and dairy science at UVM for about 30 years. Following his retirement, the Vermont native toured Kenya, Uganda, and Honduras as a poultry consultant. He has also assisted adult and youth groups interested in poultry projects. He has written Storey's Raising Poultry the Modern Way, Raising Your Own Turkeys, Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry and Storey's Guide to Raising Turkeys and edits The Vermont Poultry Industry Newsletter. Leonard lives in Shelburne, Vermont, with his wife Shirley.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Getting Started
Chapter 2 Brooding the Poults
Chapter 3 Managing Turkeys Effectively
Chapter 4 The Breeding Flock
Chapter 5 Flock Health
Chapter 6 Killing and Processing
Chapter 7 Preserving, Cooking and Serving Turkey
Weights and Measures
Extension Poultry Specialists
American and Canadian Suppliers
Poultry Diagnostic Laboratories