Uh-oh, it looks like your Internet Explorer is out of date.
For a better shopping experience, please upgrade now.
Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization / Edition 10 available in Paperback
Reaching Out: Interpersonal Effectiveness and Self-Actualization, 10e
David W. Johnson, University of Minnesota
Now in its tenth edition, Reaching Out, the most comprehensive, practical and applied text available on interpersonal skills, remains squarely focused on the dynamics found in virtually all interpersonal relationships. With new information about online interaction and relationships, expanded content on barriers to communication, and revised content throughout, the text continues to keep pace with the latest theories, sources of interpersonal communication, and research in the field. With an engaging and an accessible style that makes the content come alive for readers, this text is an especially effective resource for learning about and teaching the basic interpersonal skills. No matter what occupations or relationships students undertake, their success will largely be determined by how skilled they are interpersonally. With this effective resource for learning about the basic interpersonal skills, its audience will begin a journey of continuous improvement.
The book’s special features include:
- NEW coverage of online interactions and relationships.
- Chapter 10, Barriers to Interpersonal Effectiveness, now covers anxiety and fear, shyness, self-blame, and stereotyping and prejudice, as well as the importance of optimism in overcoming potential barriers.
- Skill-building exercises, examples, and theory-to-practice applications–extend readers’ understanding of chapter content.
- Discussion of how to express anger in constructive ways–equips readers with valuable applications to this difficult aspect of managing relationships.
- The latest and most exciting theory and research on all aspects of communicating effectively–including Self-Disclosure (Chapter 2), Developing and Maintaining Trust (Chapter 3), Increasing Your Communication Skills (Chapter 4), and Resolving Interpersonal Conflicts (Chapter 8).
- The skills and knowledge to: a) get to know and trust each other; b) communicate with each other accurately and unambiguously; c) resolve conflicts and relationship problems constructively; and d) encourage and appreciate diversity.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 -- The Importance of Interpersonal Skills
Chapter 2 -- Self-Disclosure
Chapter 3 -- Developing and Maintaining Trust
Chapter 4 -- Increasing Your Communications Skills
Chapter 5 -- Expressing Your Feelings Verbally
Chapter 6 -- Expressing Your Feelings Nonverbally
Chapter 7 -- Helpful Listening and Responding
Chapter 8 -- Resolving Interpersonal Conflicts
Chapter 9 -- Anger, Stress, and Managing Feelings
Chapter 10 -- Barriers to Interpersonal Effectiveness