- Why This Book Is Critically Needed
- Inside the Technological, Boomer, Postmodern Culture
- Outside the Idolatries of Contemporary Culture
- Upside-Down: Worship as a Subversive Act
- God as the Center of Worship: Who Is Worship For?
- The Character of the Believer: Having Content or Being Content?
- The Character of the Church as Christian Community: What Is at Stake?
- Throwing the Baby Out with the Bath Water or Putting the Baby in Fresh Clothes: Music
- Worship Ought to Kill Us: The Word
- Discovering Our Place in the Story: Ritual and Liturgy and Art
- Reaching Out without Dumbing Down
- The Church as Its Own Worst Enemy: Is It Happening Again?
Foreword by Martin E. Marty
PART I: Our Culture and the Church's Worship
PART II: The Culture Surrounding Our Worship
PART III: The Culture of Worship
PART IV: The Culture in Our Worship
PART V: Worship for the Sake of the Culture
Appendix: Sample Children's Sermons