Taking a practical industry approach, this book provides fashion merchandisers with an understanding of the mass production process of ready-to-wear apparel, and the objective evaluation of its cost and quality. Coverage of practical issues and industry methods, along with the related vocabulary, make this book an excellent reference guide. Chapter topics include government regulations and labeling; the priority of industry and consumers; focus on design development; sizing and fit as the keys to competitive advantage; fabric; quality indicators such as fabric and trim; stitches; seams and edge treatments; garment assembly; and home fashions. For use in retailer- and manufacturer-run libraries, training programs, and testing labs, and for anyone working in the apparel industry.
|Series:||Pearson Custom Library: Fashion Series|
|Product dimensions:||8.50(w) x 10.90(h) x 0.80(d)|
Table of Contents
1. Overview of the Apparel Industry: The Big Picture.
2. Government Regulations and Labeling: Communicating to Customers.
3. Apparel Quality: The Priority of Industry and Consumers.
4. The Mass-Production Process: The Apparel Industry at Work.
5. Shape, Silhouette, Style: Focus on Design Development.
6. Sizing and Fit: The Keys to Competitive Advantage.
7. Fabric: The Essential Quality Indicator.
8. Findings and Trim: More Quality Indicators.
9. Stitches: Holding the Garment Together.
10. Seams and Edge Treatments: Providing Structure.
11. Preliminary Garment Assembly: Parts and Panels.
12. Garment Assembly and Finishing: Pieces into Products.
13. Soft Home Fashions.
Appendix A: Generalizations about Usage, Cost, and Performance Characteristics of Common Apparel Fibers.
Appendix B: Fabric Performance Specifications Available for American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
Appendix C: Apparel Sewing Thread Selection Guide by Tex Size for Major Seams.
Appendix D: Seams and Stitchings: Diagrams in ASTM 6193-97 Standard Practice for Stitches and Seams.
Appendix E: General Applications to Typical Operations: Applications of Stitches, Seams, and Stitching in ASTM 6193-97 Standard Practice for Stitches and Seams.