Red Flags: A Guide to Identifying Serious Pathology of the Spine available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
This valuable clinical reference alerts practitioners to potentially serious indicators of pathology in their patients, such as cancer, tuberculosis (TB), or other conditions. With a fresh approach to the subject, it presents an hierarchy of red flags, an index of suspicion, discussion of red herrings, "3D thinking," and conditional probabilities intended to assist with clinical reasoning. It's an ideal, on-the-spot resource for anyone involved in the care of patients with musculoskeletal conditions.
• The book's small, portable size makes it ideal for reference in any practice setting.
• Presents information in an accessible, at-a-glance format.
• The unique red flag hierarchy assists with clinical reasoning.
• Index of Suspicion highlights the most likely conditions indicated by specific red flags.
• Discussion of 3D thinking encourages clinicians to look beyond immediate symptoms to find the underlying cause of a problem.
• Discussion of red herrings describes how to approach indicators that may mislead a diagnosis.
• Information on the concept of conditional probabilities helps practitioners make informed clinical decisions.
About the Author
Table of Contents
1. Red Flags
2. Clinical Reasoning
3. Subjective Examination: Age, Previous Medical History and Lifestyle Questions
4. Subjective Examination: Questions about the Current Episode and Pain
5. Objective Examination