- Serenata española for piano in F major
- Capricho árabe, for guitar
- Recuerdos de la Alhambra, for guitar
- Andaluza (Playera), for guitar or other instrument (arrangement of No. 5 of 12 Spanish Dances)
- Spanish Dances (12), in 4 volumes for piano (also arrangements), Op.37, H. 142: No. 10, Danza melancolica
- Tonadillas al estilo antiguo, 10 songs for voice & piano, H. 136: La Maja de Goya
- Valses poéticos, 7 pieces for piano, H. 147
- Suite española No.1, for piano, Op. 47, B. 7: Sevilla
- Mallorca, barcarola for piano in F sharp minor, Op. 202, B. 41
- Suite española No.1, for piano, Op. 47, B. 7: Asturias
- Canción y Danza No 1
The title of this disc, Reflections of Spain, brings to mind Miles Davis's Sketches of Spain, one of the most evocative jazz records ever made. David Russell's program of Spanish guitar music may not be groundbreaking, like Davis's album was, but it is similarly atmospheric -- and Russell's virtuosity is just as breathtaking. Russell's tone is beautifully tender, and the clarity of his finger work is as close to perfection as seems possible. Russell arranged many of the pieces here from piano works, but they sound right at home on the guitar. In "Sevilla" from Albéniz's Suite Española, for example, there is an easy swing that reminds us of the music's flamenco roots. Tarréga's Capricho Árabe is deeply soulful -- the sinuous melody is as sexy as the silky rustle of a dancer's skirt. And rarely have the difficult tremolos of the Recuerdos de la Alhambra been realized with such expressive eloquence. Beautifully recorded by Telarc, Reflections of Spain is the best guitar recital to come along since, well, Russell's previous recording.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Granados, Albeniz, Tarrega and others based on 0 ratings. 2 reviews.
We first heard selections from this album on Cincinnati classical radio. We operate a bed and breakfast inn, and this is perfect music at breakfast time or for any other time of day. It's lively without being loud and frenetic and would probably appeal to those who like classical and/or jazz as we do.