Comprehensive in its coverage, this completely revised and updated second edition of Religions in the Modern World considers the history and modern practices of the world’s main religious traditions. It analyses trends in the manifestation of religion in the modern world, from secularization to the rise of new spiritualities, and is at the cutting edge of developments in the study of religion.
This second edition includes:
- new chapters on Religion and Violence, Paganism, Religion and Popular Culture, Spirituality, Secularism and Secularization
- discussion of the strength of the Christian Right
- post 9/11 and 7/7 developments in Religion and Politics
- case studies and anecdotes, text extracts, chapter menus and end-of-chapter summaries, glossaries and annotated further reading sections
- a wide variety of photographs, figures, tables and maps
- a companion website at www.routledge.com/9780415458917.
Religions in the Modern World is the ideal textbook for those coming to the study of religion for the first time, as well as for those who wish to keep up-to-date with the latest perspectives in the field. Fully international in coverage, it is accessibly written by practising and specialist teachers.
|Publisher:||Taylor & Francis|
|Product dimensions:||7.00(w) x 9.80(h) x 1.20(d)|
About the Author
Linda Woodhead, Hiroko Kawanami and Christopher Partridge are all members of the Religious Studies department at Lancaster University.
Table of Contents
Introduction: The Modern Contexts of Religion 1. How to Study Religion Kim Knott 2. Hinduism David Smith 3. Buddhism (Cathy Cantwell and Hiroko Kawanami 4. Sikhism Christopher Shackle 5. Chinese Religions Stephan Feuchtwang 6. Japanese Religions Robert Kisala 7. Judaism Seth Kunin 8. Christianity Linda Woodhead 9. Islam David Waines 10. Religion in Africa Charles Gore 11. Native American Religions Kenneth Mello 12. Spirituality Giselle Vincett and Linda Woodhead 13. New Age Religion Wouter J. Hanegraaff 14. Paganism Graham Harvey 15. New Religious Movements Douglas Cowan 16. Religion and Globalization David Lehmann 17. Religion and Politics Jeffrey Haynes 18. Religion and Violence Charles Selengut 19. Religion and Gender Linda Woodhead 20. Religion and Popular Culture Christopher Partridge 21. Secularism and Secularization Grace Davie and Linda Woodhead