Research Stories for Lifespan Development / Edition 1 available in Paperback
This book takes a scientific approach to the study of human development by exploring the chronology of a typical lifespan through research stories. The primary goal of this book is to help readers learn to be intellectually critical, by reading contemporary research literature on human development and evaluating the assertions that are made. Each of the 32 chapters is a separate research "story," telling why the study was done, what was done, and what the results tell us about development. For psychologists, educators, or anyone interested in human development or family studies.
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.00(d)|
Table of Contents
Prenatal & Neonatal Development.
1. Sound Familiar?: Experiments and infant memory.
2. Deep Roots: Correlations and infant temperament.
3. Drinking Without Thinking: Sensitive periods and teratogens.
4. The Nose Knows: Behavioral observation and recognition of infants by smell.
First Two Years.
5. Gimme the Ball: Object Permanence and Piagetian theory.
6. Attachment in Separation: Quasi experiments and maternal attachment.
7. A Family Affair: Ecological psychology and maternal employment.
8. Please Pass the Vegetables: Graph interpretation and egocentricity.
Early Childhood — 2 Years to 6 Years.
9. Spare the Rod: Punishment and aggression.
10. Reach for the Sky: Cognitive immaturity and affordance judging.
11. Some Restrictions May Apply: Deprivation and maltreatment.
12. Chip Off the Old Block: Genetics and psychological characteristics.
Later Childhood — 7 Years to 12 Years.
13. Watching and Weighting: Childhood obesity and television watching.
14. Boldface Letters: Attributions and learned helplessness.
15. It All Adds Up: Ethnicity and academic performance.
16. Watch Yourself: Behavioral therapy and self-management.
17. At a Loss for Words: Sensitive periods and language development.
18. Coming of Age: Pubertal timing and adolescent behavior.
19. Apparent from the Parents: Parenting styles and adolescent behavior.
20. Making the Grade: Early intervention and intellectual outcomes.
21. Who's Old First?: Physical declines in early adulthood.
22. Let's See What This Baby Can Do: Birth and parent schedules.
23. Love Makes the World Go 'Round: Evolutionary psychology and jealousy.
24. Take a Whiff: Evolutionary psychology and mate choice.
25. Work it Out: Exercise in middle adulthood.
26. Blowing in the Wind: Disaster in middle adulthood.
27. Back to Work: Unemployment in late middle age.
28. For Better or Worse: Marital satisfaction and locus of control.
29. Old Folks at Home: Activities of daily living in late adulthood.
30. Over the Hill: A prospective cohort study and intellectual functioning.
31. Please Don't Depend on Me: Dependent behavior in institutions.
32. Termination of the Termites: Psychological correlates of life span length.