The two plays presented in full in this volume – Wycherley's The Country Wife and Congreve's The Way of the World – illustrate the evolution of Restoration comedy between 1675 and 1700.
- Includes full texts of Wycherley's The Country Wife and Congreve's The Way of the World.
- Demonstrates how Restoration comedy evolved between 1675 and 1700.
- Introduces general readers or students to the genre.
- An editorial introduction guides readers through the plays and the period.
About the Author
David Womersley has been a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Jesus College, Oxford since 1984.
Duncan Wu is a Fellow of St Catherine's College, Oxford, and University Lecturer in English Literature.
Table of Contents
Series Editor's Preface.
1. William Wycherley (1641-1716):.
The Country Wife (1675).
2. William Congreve (1670-1729):.
The Way of the World (1700).
Index of titles and first lines.