Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
Is homework an essential component of rigorous schooling or a harmful practice that alienates and discourages a significant number of students? The debate over homework has gone on for decades, but schools and families have changed in many ways, and, as author Cathy Vatterott notes, "There's a growing suspicion that something is wrong with homework."
Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs examines the role homework has played in the culture of schooling over the years; how such factors as family life, the media, and the "balance movement" have affected the homework controversy; and what researchand educators' common sensetells us about the effects of homework on student learning.
The best way to address the pro- and anti-homework controversy is not to eliminate homework. Instead, the author urges educators to replace the "old paradigm" (characterized by longstanding cultural beliefs, moralistic views, the puritan work ethic, and behaviorist philosophy) with a "new paradigm" based on the following elements:
• Designing quality homework tasks;
• Differentiating homework tasks;
• Deemphasizing grading of homework;
• Improving homework completion; and
• Implementing homework strategies and support programs.
Numerous examples from teachers and schools that have revised their practices and policies for homework illustrate the new paradigm in action. The end product is homework that worksfor all students, at all levels.
|Publisher:||Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.50(d)|
Table of Contents
1. The Cult(ure) of Homework
2. Homework in the Context of the New Family
3. Homework Research and Common Sense
4. Effective Homework Practices
5. Homework Completion Strategies and Support Programs
Appendix: Homework Survey for Parents
About the Author
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Great Product, Fast shipping, excellent description! Thanks!!!