In 1822, a group of Americans immigrating to Stephen F. Austin’s colony stopped at a bend in the Brazos River and built a fort. Originally called “Fort Bend” and “Fort Settlement,” Richmond was incorporated in May 1837. A prosperous river port, Richmond became a boomtown with the completion of the first railroad in Texas in 1855. One of the most notorious episodes in Richmond’s history was the Jay Bird–Woodpecker War in 1888–1889, which led to a gun battle on the streets between the two political factions. Richmond was home to notable historical figures, including Jane Long, “Mother of Texas;” Mirabeau B. Lamar, second president of the Republic of Texas; “Deaf” Smith, Texas Revolutionary scout; Carry A. Nation, temperance activist with a penchant for smashing up saloons with a hatchet; and Hilmar Moore, longest-serving US mayor.
About the Author
The photographs in this volume are from Fort Bend County Museum Association and Fort Bend County Libraries’ Genealogy and Local History Department. Clinton Drake is a court-appointed member of the Fort Bend County Historical Commission and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Friends of the Fort Bend County Historical Commission. Theresa Jach, a resident of Richmond, holds a doctorate in US history and teaches at Houston Community College–Northwest. Both authors have done extensive research on historic Richmond, Texas.
Table of Contents
1 Influential and Infamous Citizens 9
2 Local Government 37
3 Business and Commerce 47
4 The Brazos River in Richmond 67
5 Schools, Churches, and Civic Organizations 83
6 Leisure 111