Eat fruits and vegetables not because you’re told you should, but because you want them in every sense of the word. Because they are beautiful. And satisfying. And you desire their freshness, flavor, and simplicity. That’s why Ripe is arranged by color, not season.
Author and food writer Cheryl Sternman Rule, who is also the voice behind the popular blog 5 Second Rule, and award-winning food photographer Paulette Phlipot, have teamed up to bring inspiration to hungry home cooks. Their goal is not to deliver another lecture on eating for the sake of nutrition or environmental stewardship (though they affirm that both are important), but to tempt others to “embrace the vegetable, behold the fruit” because these foods are versatile, gorgeous, and taste terrific. Starting with red and progressing towards a calmer white, Ripe is arranged by color to showcase the lush, natural beauty of the following fruits and vegetables:
- RED: beets, blood oranges, cherries, cranberries, grapefruit, pomegranate, radicchio, radish, raspberries, red apples, red bell peppers, rhubarb, strawberries, tomatoes, and watermelon
- ORANGE: apricot, butternut squash, carrots, clementines, kumquats, mangoes, nectarines, papaya, peaches, persimmon, pumpkin, and yams
- YELLOW: banana, corn, lemon, pineapple, pomelo, squash blossoms, and yellow onions
- GREEN: green apples, artichokes, asparagus, avocado, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, celery, cucumber, edamame, fava beans, fennel, green beans, honeydew, kale, kiwi, leeks, lime, peas, spinach, swiss chard, watercress, and zucchini
- PURPLE and Blue: blackberries, blueberries, eggplant, figs, plums, purple cabbage, purple grapes, red leaf lettuce, and red onion
- WHITE: bosc pears, cauliflower, coconut, endive, garlic, jicama, mushrooms, parsnips, potatoes, and turnip
Each fruit and vegetable is accompanied by a lighthearted essay, breathtaking photography, and one showcase recipe, along with three “quick-hit” recipe ideas. With 150 photos and 75 recipes, this unique cookbook will quicken your pulse and leave you very, very hungry.
For more information, visit RipeCookbook.com
|Publisher:||Running Press Book Publishers|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.82(w) x 8.58(h) x 1.06(d)|
About the Author
Cheryl Sternman Rule is a food writer whose work has appeared in a wide variety of national food magazines and websites, including EatingWell, Cooking Light, Health, Sunset, Body + Soul, iVillage, Culinate.com, and more. She is also the voice behind the popular food blog 5 Second Rule. Cheryl lives with her husband and two sons in San Jose, CA.
Paulette Phlipot is an award-winning food, travel, and lifestyle photographer. She is a graduate of the Western Academy of Photography in Victoria, B.C., Canada. In 2008, Paulette was awarded “Best of Show” at the annual International Association of Culinary Professionals conference in 2008. She is based in Sun Valley, Idaho.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This cookbook is so easy to use and the recipes so delicously wonderful. Looking for something different to do with green beans... just flip to the green been page. Want to add some zip to your corn, then flip to corn. I wasn't so sure about ordering this cookbook, but am so glad that I did. I find that I'm pulling it off the shelf more than any other cookbook I own. Any why? Because it's so user friendly and the ingredients are easy to find. I like this cookbook so much that I bought 4 additional copies to give as gifts!