List of Maps and Tables.
List of Prussian Rulers.
About the Contributors.
Introduction: The rise of Prussia.
1. Prussia in history and historiography from the eighteenth to the nineteenth century.
I. POLITICS, RELIGION AND SOCIETY.
2. Frederick William I and the beginnings of Prussian absolutism 1713-1740.
3. Piety, politics and society: Pietism in eighteenth-century Prussia.
4. Prussia and the Enlightenment.
II. THE RURAL AND URBAN ENVIRONMENT.
5. The transformation of the rural economy in East Elbian Prussia, 1750-1830.
6. The development of the Prussian town, 1720-1815.
III. THE STATE AND THE ARMY.
7. Prussia's emergence as a European great power, 1740-1763.
8. 1763-1786, The Second Reign of Frederick the Great?
9. The Prussian military state, 1763-1806.
10. Prussia's army: continuity and change, 1713-1830.
V. PRUSSIA, THE FRENCH REVOLUTION AND NAPOLEON.
11. Prussia during the French Revolution and the Napoleonic Wars, 1786-1815.
12. The Prussian Reform Movement and the rise of enlightened nationalism.
Suggestions for further reading.
A note on further research possibilities.