Its sometimes said that the true job of an Oracle database administrator can be summed up in one, essential skill: to be able to recover your database.
Theres much wisdom in that statement. Of all the things you are responsible for as a database administrator, nothing is more important than the data itself. Like it or not, the fearsome responsibility of protecting your organization's most critical data falls squarely upon your shoulders:
- Lose that data and your company could fail.
- Lose that data and you could be out of a job.
Scared? You should be. But there's help. You are not alone. Oracle experts Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda have come together in this book to show you the power of Recovery Manager, or RMAN, which is Oracle's backup and recovery tool of choice. RMAN Recipes for Oracle Database 11g helps you take advantage of all that RMAN has to offer by providing easy-to-understand solutions to business-critical backup and recovery operations. This handy guide:
- Demystifies the steps required to protect your business data
- Provides ready-made and step-by-step solutions to simple and complex backup, restore, and recovery operations
- Is task-oriented, making it easy for you to find the solution to pressing backup and recovery problems
- Respects your time by providing example-based solutions, not endless reading material
When the pressures on, you don't have time for long discussions of theory. This book gets right to the point with quick and easy-to-read, step-by-step solutions that can help you backup and recover your data with confidence.What youll learn
Oracle Database experts Darl Kuhn, Sam Alapati, and Arup Nanda show you how to
- Reliably back up and recover your database using Oracle's Recovery Manager
- Utilize new Oracle Database 11g features such as the Data Recovery Advisor
- Let Oracle Database manage your backup files via the Flash Recovery Area
- Automate backup and recovery tasks by writing scripts
- Troubleshoot RMAN problems and optimize RMAN performance
- Interface with a Media Management Layer to manage your backup tape library
- Recover from the loss of a control file, loss of an online redo log, and other (hopefully!) unusual situations
Oracle database administrators responsible for database backup and recovery operations.
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||3 MB|
About the Author
Darl Kuhn is a senior database administrator working for Oracle. He handles all facets of database administration from design and development to production support. He also teaches advanced database courses at Regis University in Colorado. Darl does volunteer DBA work for the Rocky Mountain Oracle Users Group. He has a graduate degree from Colorado State University and lives near Spanish Peaks, Colorado, with his wife, Heidi, and daughters, Brandi and Lisa.
Arup Nanda has been an Oracle?Database administrator?since 1993, which has exposed him to all facets of database administration, from modeling to disaster recovery. He currently leads the global DBA team at Starwood Hotels, the parent of chains such as Sheraton and Westin, in White Plains, New York. He serves as a contributing editor of SELECT Journal, the publication of Independent Oracle Users Group (IOUG); speaks at many Oracle Technology events such as Oracle World and local user groups such as New York Oracle User Group; and has written many articles for both print publications such as Oracle Magazine and online publications such as Oracle Technology Network. Arup has co-authored two books: Oracle Privacy Security Auditing (Rampant, 2003) and Oracle PL/SQL for DBAs (O'Reilly, 2005). Recognizing his professional accomplishments and contributions to user community, Oracle chose him as the DBA of the Year in 2003. Arup lives in Danbury, Connecticut, with his wife, Anindita, and son, Anish. He can be reached at email@example.com.