The history of the Eternal City is permanently recorded in its many monuments and ruins. Rome has delights for anyone and everyone—art aficionados, architecture buffs, history lovers, foodies, and fashion trendsetters. This guide eases you into la dolce vita ("the sweet life") with information on:
- How to get around the meandering streets and the bustling maze of ancient and modern treasures
- Entertainment to suit your mood, from classical concerts and opera to bars, pubs, and discos to moonlit walks with spectacular views
- Accommodations ranging from the Hotel Hassler, located on top of the Spanish Steps, to the Hotel de Russie with its striking contemporary design
- Incredible churches, museums, and ruins
- Great buys on handmade gold jewelry, antique prints, fashion accessories such as scarves, handbags, and watches, and a variety of religious items ranging from apparel to artwork
- Five itinerary options and five day trips
Like every For Dummies travel guide, Rome For Dummies, Second Edition includes:
- Down-to-earth trip-planning advice
- What you shouldn’t miss — and what you can skip
- The best hotels and restaurants for every budget
- Lots of detailed maps
About the Author
Bruce Murphy has lived and worked in New York City, Boston, Chicago, Dublin, Rome, and Sicily. His work has appeared in magazines ranging from Cruising World to Critical Inquiry. In addition to guidebooks, he has published fiction, poetry, and criticism, most recently the Encylopedia of Murder and Mystery (St. Martin’s Press).
Alessandra de Rosa was born in Rome and has lived and worked in Rome, Paris, and New York City. She did her first cross-Europe trip at age 2, from Rome to London by car. She has continued in that line ever since, exploring three out of five continents so far. Her beloved Italy remains her preferred destination and where she lives part of the year.
Table of Contents
Part I: Introducing Rome.
Chapter 1: Discovering the Best of Rome.
Chapter 2: Digging Deeper into Rome.
Chapter 3: Deciding When to Go.
Part II: Planning Your Trip to Rome.
Chapter 4: Managing Your Money.
Chapter 5: Getting to Rome.
Chapter 6: Catering to Special Travel Needs or Interests.
Chapter 7: Taking Care of the Remaining Details.
Part III: Settling into Rome.
Chapter 8: Arriving and Getting Oriented.
Chapter 9: Checking In at Rome’s Best Hotels.
Chapter 10: Dining and Snacking in Rome.
Part IV: Exploring Rome.
Chapter 11: Discovering Rome’s Best Attractions.
Chapter 12: Shopping the Local Stores.
Chapter 13: Following an Itinerary: Five Great Options.
Chapter 14: Going Beyond Rome: Five Day Trips.
Part V: Living It Up after Dark: Rome’s Nightlife.
Chapter 15: Applauding the Cultural Scene.
Chapter 16: Hitting the Clubs and Bars.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 17: Non Capisco: The Top Ten Expressions You Need to Know.
Chapter 18: Ten Great Roman Artists.
Chapter 19: From Antique Prints to Cardinal Socks: The Best Roman Souvenirs.
Appendix A: Quick Concierge.
Appendix B: Glossary of Italian Words and Phrases.