Discover South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland with the most incisive and entertaining guidebook on the market. Whether you plan to safari in Kruger National Park, savour the fine wines of the Western Cape or explore the village where Nelson Mandela grew up, The Rough Guide to South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland will show you ideal places to sleep, eat, drink and shop along the way.
Inside The Rough Guide to South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland
- Independent, trusted reviews written in Rough Guides' trademark blend of humour, honesty and insight, to help you get the most out of your visit, with options to suit every budget.
• Full-colour maps throughout - navigate Johannesburg's downtown shopping streets or the beachfront of Port Elizabeth without needing to get online.
- Detailed regional coverage - whether off the beaten track or in more mainstream tourist destinations, this travel guide has in-depth practical advice for every step of the way. Areas covered include: Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula; The Western Cape; The Northern Cape; The Eastern Cape; the Garden Route; KwaZulu-Natal; Durban; Free State; Gauteng; Johannesburg; North West Province; Mpumalanga; Limpopo; Lesotho; Swaziland. Attractions include: Table Mountain; Robben Island; Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden; Stellenbosch; the Wild Coast; Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park; the Drakensberg mountains; Joburg's Apartheid Museum; Blyde River Canyon; Kruger National Park.
• Stunning, inspirational images Itineraries - carefully planned routes to help you organize your trip.
• Basics - essential pre-departure practical information including getting there, local transport, accommodation, food and drink, health, the media, festivals, sports and outdoor activities, crime and personal safety, and more.
- Background information - a Contexts chapter devoted to history, music and books, plus a handy language section and glossary.
Make the Most of Your Time on Earth with the Rough Guide to South Africa, Lesotho & Swaziland
About the Author
Table of Contents
Colour section 1
Where to go 8
When to go 11
Things not to miss 13
Getting there 35
Getting around 42
Eating and drinking 51
The media 55
Activities and outdoor pursuits 59
Spectator sports 61
Parks, reserves and wilderness areas 63
Crime and personal safety 72
Travel essentials 74
Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula 83
The Western Cape 179
The Northern Cape 313
The Eastern Cape 363
Free State 551
North West Province 639
The Nguni group 891
The Sotho group 891
Pronouncing place names 892
Food and drink 897
Travel store 901
Small print & Index 909