This sister volume to Leek Through Time considers some of the villages and countryside skirting the north of the town. Although rural and sometimes bleak, none of the areas covered here is more than twenty minutes' drive from Leek. To the north-west of Leek lies Rudyard Lake, created in 1797 to feed water to the Caldon and Trent & Mersey canals. The lake, with its two railway stations, once attracted huge numbers of visitors and gave Rudyard Kipling his name. Rushton straddles the Leek - Macclesfield road and plays host to many walkers passing through en route to and from the Dane Valley. The Dane 'feeder' provides a footpath from Rushton to Wincle and Swythamley, above which rise the Roaches at the end of the Pennine Chain. Also nestling beneath the Roaches are Meerbrook, Upper Hulme and Tittesworth Reservoir. The journey ends at Blackshaw Moor.
About the Author
Neil Collingwood was born in 1956 in Leek, Staffordshire. He developed an interest in local history following a period working as a museum attendant at Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Museum after obtaining his degree in Applied Biology. He soon discovered the archive collection of old photographs that the museum held and asked for permission to catalogue them on computer. Neil has given many talks on Newcastle-under-Lyme using both old photos and his own.