Tap into the power of the Divine. Learn how to forgiveand be forgiven.
Everyone knows that forgiveness is a virtue and a key to emotional, spiritual and even physical well-being. But learning how to actually forgiveor to accept forgiveness, as the case may beis a sacred art few of us have mastered.
It doesn’t have to be that way. Writing from personal experience and her broad knowledge of many faith traditions, Marcia Ford offers a new perspective on forgiveness and reconciliation, an approach rooted in the Spirit that can be learned by anyone no matter how deep the hurt. Through real-life examples, penetrating reflections, scriptural references and practical suggestions, Ford outlines the steps that one by one can help you to forgive, including:
- Coming to terms with anger, bitterness and resentment
- Understanding the differences between forgiveness and reconciliation
- Taking the initiative, even when you’re the one who’s been wronged
- Strategies for listening “with the heart” in emotionally charged situations
- Knowing when to forgive and forgetand when to forgive and take action
- Ways of allowing the power of the Divine to work through you
- Finding compassion for othersand for yourself
- … and much more
About the Author
Marcia Ford is a former editor of Christian Retailing magazine, an Explorefaith.org columnist and frequent contributor to Publishers Weekly. The author of eighteen books, including The Sacred Art of Forgiveness: Forgiving Ourselves and Others through God's Grace (SkyLight Paths); Memoir of a Misfit and Traditions of the Ancients, she was the religion editor of The Asbury Park Press for ten years. She is also a former editor with Charisma and Ministries Today magazines and the ibelieve.com website. Her other books include Meditations for Misfits; 101 Most Powerful Promises of the Bible and Restless Pilgrim: The Spiritual Journey of Bob Dylan (with Scott Marshall).
Table of Contents
1. Why Bother?2. An Act Of Love3. It Starts With You4. Be Immediate5. Activist Anger6. Exercise Your Humility7. The Grace To Forgive8. Cultivating Compassion9. Harvesting Forgiveness10. A Relentlessly Forgiving God11. Forgiving Yourself12. When Death Intrudes13. A Healthy Choice14. Radical Forgiveness15. Remembering How To Forget16. Transformational Forgiveness17. True Freedom18. Just Like Me19. Growing Up20. Lasting Peace21. Overlooking The Trivial22. Forgiveness Is Not Reconciliation23. Choosing To Reconcile24. Setting Boundaries25. Listening With Your Heart26. Seventy Times Seven27. Unleashed Joy28. Accepting Forgiveness29. Sharing The Blame30. Can We Forgive God?31. Tell Your Story
AfterwordAcknowledgmentsCreditsNotesSuggestions For Further Reading