- Piano Concerto No. 1 in D major, Op. 17
- Piano Concerto No. 2 in G minor, Op. 22
- Piano Concerto No. 4 in C minor, Op. 44
- Piano Concerto No. 3 in E flat major, Op. 29
- Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Egyptian"), in F major, Op. 103
- Wedding Cake, caprice-valse for piano & strings in A flat major, Op. 76
- Africa, fantaisie for piano & orchestra in G minor, Op. 89
In his piano concertos, Saint-Saëns sounds less like a late nineteenth century composer than like a Gallic Schumann, a composer of tuneful, virtuoso instrumental works that delight but rarely challenge. These warmly affectionate performances by pianist Jean-Philippe Collard with André Previn leading the Royal Philharmonic show them in their best light, showcasing their ephemeral beauty and fine craftsmanship, but thankfully not straining to find deeper meaning. EMI's remastering of the early digital originals is warmer but clearer and more detailed.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Saint-Seans: Piano Concertos based on 0 ratings. 2 reviews.