The maritime tradition is particularly important to the history of proselytizing and migration in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Small groups of energetic, dedicated, and resourceful missionaries traveled to every continent, and as a result of their activities, some 85,000 converts emigrated and helped colonize the American West. Based on extensive research, Saints on the Seaschronicles the voyages of approximately 300 American, British, German, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, and French ships involved in the emigration.
Drawing on both federal and foreign government documents, as well as Mormon Church archives, newspapers, journals, personal letters, and other primary source materials, Conway Sonne presents a detailed picture of this arduous migration. Numerous appendixes present a wealth of information, including statistics on vessels, number of passengers, and passage times, as well as data on ship captains, and maritime disasters. Saints on the Seas is a unique source of material for historians, maritime buffs, and genealogists.
About the Author
Conway B. Sonne is a trustee of the National Maritime Museum Association, former financial officer of Standard Oil, and the author of Ships, Saints, and Mariners (University of Utah Press, 1987).
Table of Contents
1. A Call Across the Deep
2. The Gathering
3. Windships and Mariners
4. A Saga of Sail
5. Queens of the Rivers
6. Engines of the Sea
7. Greyhounds of Steam
8. Ebb Tide
1. Emigrant Companies
2. Emigrant Vessel Types and Tonnages, by Decade
3. Building Locations for Emigrant Vessels, Alphabetically, with Years and Builders
4. Twenty-four Voyages with Highest Death Toll at Sea, in Descending Order
5. Emigrant Voyages, by Port, Size, and Decade
6. Passage Times, by Vessel Type, Route, and Decade
7. Steamboats Used by Mormon Emigrants
8. Number of Mormon Passengers Carried by Individual Steamship Lines, in Descending Order
9. Total Mormon Passengers Carried by Individual Emigrant Vessels
10. The Twenty-five Largest Mormon Emigrant Companies, in Descending Order
11. Shipmasters of More Than Two Mormon Emigrant Voyages