The New Scribner-Bantam English Dictionary is better than the others. 1. Over 80,000 definitions. More information than in any other dictionary of its kind.
2. Including new words and technical-scientific terms appearing in no other dictionary.
3. Current definitions. Up-to-the-minute definitions of contemporary vocabulary.
4. Finding the right word: The only dictionary with mini-essays (500) on the use of words that have similar meanings.
5. Easy pronunciation. Only 42 symbols represent the more than 250 common spellings of English sounds.
6. Word origins. Concise etymologies tell where words came from, and how they have changed.
7. An appendix that includes handy measurement conversion tables.
8. A comprehensive Guide to the Dictionary that teaches about words and language.
|Publisher:||Random House Publishing Group|
|Product dimensions:||4.20(w) x 6.87(h) x 1.74(d)|
About the Author
Edwin B. Williams, PhD, (1891–1975) was chairman of the Department of Romance Languages, dean of the Graduate School, and provost of the University of Pennsylvania.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This dictionary is a powerhouse! It has carried me through many years of college (too many, but that's another story) and has never failed me. And the price--can you beat that with a stick? You won't be sorry with this little book of knowledge...believe it or not I shopped around for my dictionary and it was by far the superb choice (with 'over 80,000 definitions'!)