More and better investments in agricultural water are needed. In response, the World Bank, in conjunction with many partner agencies, has compiled a selection of good experiences that can guide practitioners in the design of quality investments in agricultural water.
The messages of 'Shaping the Future of Water for Agriculture: A Sourcebook for Investment in Agricultural Water Management' center around the key challenges to agricultural water management, specifically:
• Building policies and incentives
• Designing institutional reforms
• Investing in irrigation systems improvement and modernization
• Investing in groundwater irrigation
• Investing in drainage and water quality management
• Investing in water management in rainfed agriculture
• Investing in agricultural water management in multipurpose operations
• Coping with extreme climatic conditions
• Assessing the social, economic, and environmental impacts of agricultural water investments
'Shaping the Future of Water for Agriculture' is an important resource for those interested and engaged in development with a focus on agricultural water.