Read an Excerpt
Barrington’s Restaurant- Chef/Owner Bruce Moffett
7822 Fairview Road
Owned by award winning chef, Bruce Moffett, and food by younger brother and executive chef, Kerry Moffett of Good Food on Montford. The menu is based around mostly small plates, and is intended for sharing. With a focus on seasonal, local and organic foods, the menu changes frequently, and beings a variety of styles and flavors to the plate. This is one of our most popular dishes.
Scallops over Butternut Squash Risotto with Fennel And Bacon
12 or more large fresh pack sea scallops
1 medium butternut squash
¼ C. honey
1 C. water
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 small onion, finely diced
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 C. Arborio rice
½ white wine
1½ C. butternut puree
4 C. water
1 head shaved fennel
½ lb. bacon
juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Peel, halve, and seed the squash, reserving a small chunk to dice for garnish. Take the rest of the squash and cut into ½ inch slices. Transfer to a sealable baking pan with the water, honey and salt. Cover and place in 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until very tender. Let cool and place in a blender, and puree until smooth, adding water if necessary. This should not get liquidy.
2. Shave the fennel as finely as possible on a mandolin, and place in ice water for up to one day in advance. Drain well before using.
3. Render the bacon in a skillet that is large enough to also hold the scallops for roasting afterward without crowding. Remove the bacon, saving the grease and pan for roasting the scallops.
4. To prepare the risotto, start the mixture of squash puree and water in apot over medium heat, and bring to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
5. Place the onion, butter and oil to a wide pot and cook on medium high heat until the onion is translucent, then add the rice and cook stirring constantly for a minute. Turn the heat down to medium, then add the white wine and reduce until almost dry. Add the squash liquid in ½ C. increments, stirring constantly throughout the entire cooking process. The rice will keep cooking as it sits, so be ready to plate. Just before serving, add the remaining butter, or more, if desired. Season with salt, stirring even more.
6. To prepare the scallops, pat the scallops dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the pan with the bacon grease on high heat, and just at the smoking point, place the scallops very carefully into the pan. Let the scallops develop a golden brown crust, then turn off the pan, flip the scallops over, and move to one side. Add the bacon back to the pan to heat.
Have some small bowls or high rimmed plates ready to go. Place some of the reserved squash puree toward the center of the plate, then spread it slightly with the back of a spoon. Spoon risotto into the center of the plate. It should have a nice oozing smooth texture. If not, you need to add more liquid in the risotto. Place several scallops about an inch apart in the center of the plate. Place the bacon around the scallops. Toss the shaved fennel with the lemon juice, olive oil, and season to taste. Place in the center of the plate, trying to get some height with it, and sprinkle with sliced chives.