Social innovation and social entrepreneurship look for creative and affordable solutions to specific societal problems. Fuelled by the spread of the internet and the ubiquity of mobile phones, there are more people working to solve pressing social and environmental problems in the world today than ever before. Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation presents the journeys of pioneering - and often accidental - social innovators who, faced with a problem, used their courage, tenacity and creative thinking to find a solution.
Using their own words to reflect upon their experiences, these cases do not gloss over the setbacks and the dead-ends social entrepreneurs can face. Instead, readers will gain a realistic insight into the challenges and an engaging look at the problem-solving mindset needed to overcome them. From a life-saving project to bring solar-powered lighting to midwives in Nigeria, to a news dissemination service that's grown from small beginnings to have a global impact, each case study draws out the lessons learnt by the innovators, providing guidance and advice for those looking to follow in their footsteps. Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation is an invaluable resource for social entrepreneurs and innovators looking for new ideas and insight into what really works - and what doesn't.
|Publisher:||Kogan Page, Ltd.|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||6 MB|
About the Author
Ken Banks, founder of global non-profit organisation kiwanja.net, devotes himself to the application of mobile technology for positive social and environmental change in the developing world. He is a PopTech Fellow, a Tech Awards Laureate, an Ashoka Fellow, and a National Geographic Emerging Explorer. He was appointed Entrepreneur in Residence at CARE International in 2015, elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts in 2012, and in 2013 he was nominated for the prestigious TED Prize.
Peter Gabriel is a singer-songwriter, record producer and humanitarian. He co-founded the English rock band group Genesis in 1966.
Bill Drayton is a social entrepreneur and CEO&founder of Ashoka, an international non-profit organisation that promotes social entrepreneurship by affiliating individual social entrepreneurs into the Ashoka organisation.
Internationally lauded and recognised as a visionary for pioneering the field of social entrepreneurship, Bill Drayton has been named one of America's 25 Best Leaders by US News&World Report in 2005-6. He has been a speaker at the World Economic Forum, and has addressed audiences around the world.
Table of Contents
- Chapter - 00: Introduction [Ken Banks of kiwanja.net];
- Chapter - 01: Wonders of the Solar System: Reducing Maternal Mortality in Developing Regions [Laura Stachel of We Care Solar];
- Chapter - 02: Closing Latin America's Digital Divide [Rodrigo Baggio of Centre for Digital Inclusion (CDI)];
- Chapter - 03: Patent Wars: Fighting Big Pharma to Enable Access to Drugs for All [Priti Radhakrishnan of I-MAK];
- Chapter - 04: Data Science, Technology and Design for Social Justice [Jessica Anderson and Joumana al Jabri of Visualizing Impact];
- Chapter - 05: Bringing the Silicon Valley Revolution in Technology and Business to Global Healt [Joel Selanikio of Magpi];
- Chapter - 06: Food Waste Meets Food Poverty: Closing the Loop [Kelvin Cheung and Michael Norton of Foodcycle];
- Chapter - 07: Innovation in Africa's Silicon Savannah [Erik Hersman of Ushahidi];
- Chapter - 08: Touch-Based Treatment for Autism [Louisa Silva of Qigong Sensory Training Institute (QSTI)];
- Chapter - 09: Reconnecting the Disconnected: A Story of Technology, Refugees and Finding Lost Family [David and Christopher Mikkelsen of Refugees United];
- Chapter - 10: Let a Billion Readers Bloom [Brij Kothari of Planet Read];
- Chapter - 11: Keep Calm and Dream in Tunisia: Supporting Sustainable Development in Tunisia and North Africa Through Empowering Youth, Women and Farmers [Sarah Toumi of Dream in Tunisia];
- Chapter - 12: The Reluctant Geneticist [Sharon Terry of Genetic Alliance];
- Chapter - 13: Power to the People: Reengineering Democracy [Tarik Nesh Nash of Govright]