Social Movements in a Globalising World / Edition 1 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Palgrave Macmillan UK
The growing interdependence on a global scale which characterizes the human condition at the turn of the century constitutes a challenge for both the mobilization of social movements and social movement theory. This volume makes an attempt to adjust the perspective of the "political process" approach to a world in which political opportunities, mobilizing structures, framing processes and collective action of social movements are no longer confined to national political contexts.
|Publisher:||Palgrave Macmillan UK|
|Product dimensions:||5.51(w) x 8.50(h) x 0.03(d)|
About the Author
Donatella della Porta is Professor of Political Science at the University of Florence.
Hanspeter Kriesi is Professor of Political Science at the University of Geneva.
Dieter Rucht is Professor of Sociology at the University of Kent.
Table of Contents
Social Movements in a Globalizing World: An Introduction--Donatella della Porta & Hanspeter Kriesi
• Part I: National Mobilization Within a Globalizing World
• Alternative Types of Cross-Diffusion in the Social Movement Arena--David A. Snow & Robert D. Benford
• The Gendering of Abortion Discourse: Assessing Global Feminist Influence in the United States and Germany--Myra Marx Ferree & William A. Gamson
• A Comparison of Protests Against the Gulf War in Germany, France and the Netherlands--Ruud Koopmans
• The Diffusion and Adoption of Public Order Management Systems--John D. McCarthy, Clark McPhail & John Crist
• Part II: Mobilization Beyond the Nation-State
• On the Relationship of Political Opportunities to the Form of Collective Action: The Case of the European Union--Gary Marks & Doug McAdam
• The Europeanization of Movements? A New Approach to Transnational Contention--Doug Imig & Sidney Tarrow
• Injustice and Adversarial Frames in a Supranational Political Context: Farmer' Protest in the Netherlands and Spain
• Supranational Political Opportunities as a Channel of Globalization of Political Conflicts. The Case of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples--Florence Passy
• Global Politics and Transnational Social Movements Strategies: The Transnational Campaign Against International Trade in Toxic Wastes--Jackie Smith
• International Campaigns in Context: Collective Action Between the Local and the Global--Christian Lahusen
• The Transnationalization of Social Movements: Trends, Causes, Problems--Dieter Rucht