SECTION I: Nursing and the sociology of health and health care.
1. What is sociology? (Keith Sharp).
2. Why should nurses study sociology? (Barbara Green and Sarah Earle).
3. What is health? (Sarah Earle).
4. Nursing as an occupation (Elaine Denny).
SECTION II: Inequalities and diversities in health and healthcare.
5. Gender (Gayle Letherby).
6. Age and ageing (Pat Chambers).
7. Chronic illness and disability (Nick Watson and Elaine Denny).
8. Social Class (Terry O'Donnell).
9. Race and ethnicity (Lorraine Culley and Simon Dyson).
10. Global health (Sarah Earle).
SECTION III: Where Does Care Take Place?
11. The family, health and caring (Corrine Wilson and Geraldine Brown).
12. Primary care and the community (Mike Filby).
13. Hospitals and institutions (Philip Shelton and Elaine Denny).
SECTION IV: Policy Influences on Health and Healthcare.
14. Health Policy (David Cox).
15. The management and organization of healthcare (Alistair Hewison).
16. Health, housing and the environment (Douglas McCarrick).