- Introduction: Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
- Medley: Tonight's the Night/Beautiful Brown Eyes/Just a Matter of Time
- Cry to Me
- Medley: Monologue/Take Me (Just as I Am)/I Can't Stop Loving ...
- Down in the Valley
- Proud Mary
- Introduction to Encore/Gotta Get You off My Mind
- Medley: Meet Me in Church/The Price/Words/Monologue
- Medley: You're Good for Me/Send Me Some Lovin'
- Medley: Gotta Get You off My Mind/Having a Party/Amen
- Get it by Thursday, September 28 , Order now and choose Expedited Delivery during checkout.
For pure soul testifying, no one compares to Solomon Burke. He earned his title -- "King of Soul" -- by bringing the gospel fervor of the Southern preacher to his performances, and no recording proves his command over an audience quite like Soul Alive! Recorded in 1983 in Washington, D.C., the set proves Burke had lost little from his '60s heyday; he works through nearly all of his hits, spurring on the concert-goers as though they were the ones performing instead of him -- in fact, some of the women are heard screaming so often they should've been credited. Burke shines most when leading the faithful through "I Can't Stop Loving You," pausing for a lengthy monologue before reprising the song and leading into a devastating finish. Elsewhere he works through deeply felt country-blues-gospel fusions like "I Almost Lost My Mind," "Take Me (Just as I Am)," "He'll Have to Go," and "Down in the Valley."
|Label:||Rounder / Umgd|
Performance CreditsSolomon Burke Primary Artist,Vocals
Marc Ribot Guitar
Crispin Cioe Baritone Saxophone
Dave Conrad Bass
Bob Kent Drums
Arno Hecht Tenor Saxophone
Gabriel Rotello Keyboards
Technical CreditsSolomon Burke Composer,Producer
John Fogerty Composer
Ben E. King Contributor
Bert Berns Composer
Peter Guralnick Liner Notes
Bert Russell Composer
Don Covay Contributor