First released in 1995, this spiritual classic continues to be a best-seller, as thousands each year accept Marjorie Thompson's invitation to the Christian spiritual life. Offering a framework for understanding the spiritual disciplines and instruction for developing and nurturing those practices, Soul Feast continues to be a favorite for individual reflection and group study. Many new additions, including a new chapter on keeping the Sabbath, make this newly revised edition of Soul Feast a must-have.
|Publisher:||Westminster John Knox Press|
|Product dimensions:||7.40(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.60(d)|
About the Author
Marjorie J. Thompson is author of Forgiveness: A Lenten Study. A Presbyterian pastor, she spent thirteen years as Director of Congregational Spirituality with Upper Room Ministries. She currently does freelance work in retreat leadership, teaching, and writing.
Read an Excerpt
What I have observed over the past twenty years has increased my sense of urgency about the need for spiritual practice among us. If we do not learn to honor and strengthen the inner life of spirit, all the external changes in the world cannot save us. New laws, regulations, and technological fixes are all susceptible to human corruption and self-interest. If we do not know ourselves as beings created to reflect the divine image, we will lose the immense opportunity for transformation God has offered us in the gift of life itself. And if the love of God embodied in Christ cannot turn us, how shall we be turned? from the Introduction
Table of Contents
1. Hunger and Thirst for the Spirit: The Spiritual Yearning of Our Time
2. Chewing the Bread of the Word: The Nature and Practice of Spiritual Reading
3. Communication and Communion with God: Approaches to Prayer
4. Gathered in the Spirit: Our Common Worship
5. Reclaiming Sabbath Time: The Sacred Art of Ceasing
6. The Practice of Self-Emptying: Rediscovering the Fast
7. Of Conscience and Consciousness: Self-Examination, Confession, and Awareness
8. Companions on the Journey: The Gift of Spiritual Direction
9. Entertaining Angels Unawares: The Spirit of Hospitality
10. Putting It All Together: Developing a Rule of Life
11. Group Study Guide
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This book teaches people how to grow in their spiritual lives.