A Speaker's Guidebook is the best resource for public speaking in the classroom, on the job, and in the community. Praised for connecting with students who use it (and keep it!) year after year, this market leading tabbed, comb-bound text covers all the topics typically taught in the introductory course and is the easiest-to-use public speaking text available.
Hundreds of instructors have shaped the book to focus on helping students overcome the fundamental challenges of the public speaking classroom. The Seventh Edition provides even stronger coverage of organizing and outlining and speaking beyond the speech classroom. This edition emphasizes skills critical to good speechmaking--listening, ethics, credibility, and persuasion. Print and digital tools converge in the Launchpad for A Speaker’s Guidebook to help students with every aspect of the speech building process with a gorgeous, new collection of speech videos, accompanied by questions, to model speech techniques.
Table of Contents
Getting Started with Confidence
1. Becoming a Public Speaker
2. Giving It a Try: Preparing Your First Speech
Public Speaking Basics
3. Managing Speech Anxiety
4. Listeners and Speakers
5. Ethical Public Speaking
Audience Analysis and Topic Selection?
6. Analyzing the Audience?
7. Selecting a Topic and Purpose
Supporting the Speech
8. Developing Supporting Materials
9. Finding Credible Print and Online Materials
10. Citing Sources in Your Speech
Organizing and Outlining
11. Organizing the Body of the Speech
12. Types of Organizational Arrangements?
13. Outlining the Speech
Introductions, Conclusions, and Language?
14. Developing the Introduction?
15. Developing the Conclusion?
16. Using Language to Style the Speech
Vocal and Nonverbal Delivery?
17. Methods of Delivery
18. The Voice in Delivery?
19. The Body in Delivery
20. Using Presentation Aids in the Speech?
21. Designing Presentation Aids?
22. Using Presentation Software
Forms of Speeches
23. The Informative Speech
24. The Persuasive Speech?
25. Developing Arguments for the Persuasive Speech?
26. Organizing the Persuasive Speech?
27. Special Occasion Speeches
Speaking Beyond the Speech Classroom?
28. Preparing Online Presentations
29. Collaborating and Presenting in Groups?
30. Business and Professional Presentations?
31. Speaking in Your Other Courses
Sample Informative Speech
Sample Persuasive Speeches
Sample Special Occasion Speeches
Reference and Research Appendices
A.?Commonly Mispronounced Words
E.?Handling Question and Answer Sessions
F.?Preparing for TV and Radio Communication?
G.?Public Discussions: Panels, Symposiums, Forums
Most Helpful Customer Reviews