Speaking Effectively : Achieving Excellence in Presentations / Edition 1 available in Paperback
Written by a professional speaker who has taught thousands of college students, corporate personnel, and military officers, this succinct book presents practical information on public speaking in an interesting, engaging, and practical way. It gets right to the business of teaching people how to speak effectively, a trait that is most admired by others. Using practical examples from classroom, business, and social settings, this book explains how to use humor, clarification, proof, and visual supporting materials to speak effectively and ensure successful delivery. For corporate trainers and personnel who need to learn the key concepts of delivering an effectively public speech.
Read an Excerpt
This preface is short. For that matter, I've tried to keep the entire book as short as possible yet cover what's really important about preparing and presenting different kinds of talks.
The material in this book comes from three decades of study, research, and teaching thousands of people, from college students to corporate leaders. Even more, this book contains what I have learned during that time speaking more than 100 times a year to all kinds of audiences. ORGANIZATION
The chapter titles tell the story: (1) Preparing to Speak, (2) Organizing the Presentation, (3) Using Clarification Support, (4) Using Proof Support, (5) Using Humorous Support, (6) Using Visual Support, (7) Beginnings, Endings, and Transitions, (8) Presentation Strategies, and (9) Presentation Skills.
I've emphasized using various kinds of support, because effective supporting material holds listeners' interest and communicates the message. I've also devoted two chapters to presentationone to strategies, another to skills. Even the best planned, prepared, organized, and supported talk will be ineffective if not presented well. SPECIAL FEATURES
- Objectives and Tasks. Each chapter begins with an objective and tasks or behaviors to demonstrate that readers have achieved the objective.
- Humor. Few books on speaking adequately treat the subject, yet it is one of the best tools the speaker has. This book devotes a chapter to the use of humor.
- Activities. Exercises are scattered throughout the book to help the reader acquire and practice skills taught in the book.
- Supporting Material. The book emphasizes the importance of support, so I'vetried to use lots of it to illustrate points.
- Checklists. The book has numerous lists on how to adapt to an audience, use various kinds of support material, construct visual aids, and so forth.
- Writing Style. The book is lively and easy to read. I don't use technical jargon. The book is suited for both the beginner and the professional who wants to learn more.
Table of Contents
1. Preparing to Speak.
2. Organizing the Presentation.
3. Using Clarification Support.
4. Using Proof Support.
5. Using Humorous Support.
6. Using Visual Support.
7. Beginning, Ending, and Transitions.
8. Presentational Strategies.
9. Presentational Skills.