(Each chapter includes a Summary, Questions for Reflection, and Notes.)
Cases in Order of Appearance.
1. The Legal System and How it Works.
2. History of Special Education Law.
3. Statutory Provisions: A General Overview.
4. The People.
5. Who is Protected?
6. Identification and Evaluation.
7. Appropriate Education.
8. Mainstreaming and Integration.
9. Related Services.
10. Residential Placements.
11. Placements in Private Schools.
12. Special Problems of Secondary Students.
13. Cost Issues.
14. Due Process Procedures Under the IDEA.
15. Procedures Under Discrimination Laws.
16. Special Education Misconduct.
17. Remedies: Damages, Reimbursement, and Compensatory Education.
18. Attorney's Fees.
19. The Status and Future of Special Education Law.
Appendix A: Education and the American Legal System.
Appendix B: Frequently Used Acronyms and Terms.