[Star Wars (Little Books About Big Things)]
Star Wars: The Unofficial Trivia Guide
[spine] Star Wars Brown [logo]
Follow author Damon Brown as he explores the far reaches of the Star Wars universe, unearthing a treasure trove of entertaining facts, anecdotes, trivia, and quizzes.
George Lucas’s Star Wars films are among the most successful ever made, and possibly the most influential. Beyond those six films, Lucas’s creation has sprawled into everything from bestselling novels to popular toys and video games, and even an infamous, little-seen made-for-TV Christmas special. In this illuminating, easy-to-read book, Brown unearths a trove of little-known facts about both the making of the Star Wars films and the fantastic, addictive, faraway universe they take place in.
Here are a few of the facts you’ll find inside:
· Lucas supposedly modeled Emperor Palpatine after President Richard Nixon.
· Although the first Star Wars cost $13 million to make, it earned $100 million within its first three months.
· The largest known collection of Star Wars memorabilia can be found at a nonprofit run by a former Lucasfilm executive. Called Rancho Obi-Wan, this attraction holds more than 300,000 Star Wars-related pieces in a 9,000-square-foot space that formerly housed a hatchery for 20,000 chickens.
· In 1977, Star Wars didn’t just look original, but it sounded original, too. Lucas insisted on realistic sounds, having his technicians record real-world jet engine noises to echo through the film’s starships.
· Mark Hamill was in a severe car accident right before he finished filming Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, fracturing his left cheekbone and nose.
· In Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda was essentially a hand puppet with several engineers manipulating its eyes, ears, and other parts via remote control.
Ever wonder how the sound of Darth Vader’s signature heavy breathing was made? Or the actual size of the Death Star model in the original Star Wars? You’ll find the answers inside . . . and many more!
About the Author
Damon Brown is the author of several pop culture titles, most notably the TED Book Our Virtual Shadow: Why We are Obsessed with Documenting Our Lives Online, the coffee table book Playboy’s Greatest Covers, and the critically-acclaimed Porn & Pong: How Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider and Other Sexy Games Changed Our Culture. He is also the co-founder of Quote UnQuote, an app that lets you document interesting things you hear people say. He has written for Playboy, the New York Post, and CNN. You can catch him online at www.damonbrown.net or discussing pop culture on Twitter at @browndamon.
Star Wars: The Unofficial Trivia Guide is brimming with fascinating facts, anecdotes, trivia, and quizzes like these:
· The name of the cuddly Ewoks was inspired by the real life Native America tribe called the Miwok.
· Star Wars has spawned dozens of novels, but the first novel actually came before A New Hope even hit theaters. Arriving on November 12, 1976, Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker was an adaptation of the upcoming film.
· The giant Millennium Falcon ship model in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back could barely move, so director Irvin Kershner compensated by just tilting the camera during the wild dogfight scenes.
· The first Star Wars movie was not an easy experience for C3PO actor Mark Daniels. His mechanical costume was stiff, confining, and noisy, not to mention stiflingly hot.
· Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back begins on the ice planet Hoth. In real life, the crew filmed it in wintery Norway around the spectacular Hardangerjøkulen glacier.
This book is fun to read from cover to cover—or to dip in and out of, turning to whatever interests you the most. It also makes a great gift.
[bar code] Printed in the United States of America
|Publisher:||Fall River Press|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||843 KB|
About the Author