Stories of the Eight-Year Study: Reexamining Secondary Education in America available in Paperback
An in-depth analysis of one of the most important educational experiments of the twentieth century.
Presenting the first complete history of the Progressive Education Association’s Eight-Year Study, which took place during the 1930s and the 1940s, this book corrects common misinterpretations of one of the most important educational experiments of the twentieth century and explores the study’s value for reexamining secondary education in America today.
|Publisher:||State University of New York Press|
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||6.00(w) x 1.25(h) x 9.00(d)|
About the Author
Craig Kridel is Professor of Educational Studies and Curator of the Museum of Education at the University of South Carolina.
Robert V. Bullough Jr. is Professor of Teacher Education and Associate Director of the Center for the Improvement of Teacher Education and Schooling at Brigham Young University.
Table of Contents
John I. Goodlad
Vignette: Wilford Merton Aikin (1882-1965): Hope, Success, and Realistic Expectations
1. The Educational Context of the Eight-Year Study
Vignette: V. T. Thayer (1886-1979): A Middle Position of Integrity without Compromise
2. Tests and Records: The Veneer of College Admissions
Vignette: Eugene Randolph Smith (1876-1968): Recognizing "the futility of statistics as an end in itself"
3. An Essential Faith: From Tests and Measurement to Appraisal and Evaluation
Vignette: Understanding Ralph Tyler (1902-1994)
4. Guidance, Human Relations, and the Study of Adolescents
Vignette: Alice V. Keliher (1903-1995): Fate, Frank, and Film
5. The Conception of Needs: A Dilemma of Progressive Education
Vignette: Caroline Zachry (1894-1945): None Quite Like Our Dr. Zachry
6. The Core Curriculum: Rethinking Curriculum and Instruction
Vignette: Harold Alberty (1890-1971) and the Quest for Core
7. The Importance of Social Philosophy: Democracy as a Way of Life
Vignette: Boyd H. Bode (1873-1953): Philosophy Brought Down to Earth
8. Staff Development: Teacher Workshops as Personal and Professional Growth
Vignette: Margaret Willis (1899-1987): And Gladly Would She Learn
9. Reexamining Secondary Education in America
Appendix A: The Thirty Schools of the Commission on the Relation of School and College
Appendix B: Testing Bureaus and Projects Related to the Aikin Commission
Appendix C: Excerpt from a Comprehensive Student Record