The Strategic Teacher: Selecting the Right Research-Based Strategy for Every Lesson / Edition 1 available in Paperback
The Strategic Teacher offers a repertoire of strategies designed and proven to meet today’s high standards and reach diverse learners. Twenty reliable, flexible strategies (along with dozens of variations) are organized into these groups of instruction:
· mastery style to emphasize the development of student memory;
· understanding style to expand students’ capacities to reason and explain;
· self-expressive style to stimulate and nourish students’ imaginations and creativity;
· interpersonal style to help students find meaning in the relationships they forge as partners and team members, united in the act of learning; and
· four-style strategies that integrate all four styles.
To guide teachers in delivering content to students, the authors started with the best research-based teaching and learning strategies and created a tool called the Strategic Dashboard. The dashboard provides information about each teaching strategy in a concise, visual profile; it is also designed to document how one incorporates current, highly respected research into instructional plans.
For each strategy, the book offers the following information:
- a brief introduction to the strategy;
- an example of a teacher using the strategy in a classroom;
- the research base supporting the strategy and how the strategy benefits students;
- how to implement the strategy using a list of clear steps;
- guidance through the planning process, providing steps, examples, and suggestions for designing superior lessons; and
- additional tools, strategies, and resources for adapting and expanding the use of each strategy.
The authors have combined their years of research and practice to deliver reliable, high-impact, flexible teaching and learning strategies grounded in current, highly regarded research to teachers at all levels of experience.
Table of Contents
Part One Introduction
Part Two Mastery Strategies
Chapter 1 New American Lecture
Chapter 2 Direct Instruction
Chapter 3 Graduated Difficulty
Chapter 4 Teams-Games-Tournaments
Part Three Understanding Strategies
Chapter 5 Compare and Contrast
Chapter 6 Reading for Meaning
Chapter 7 Concept Attainment
Chapter 8 Mystery
Part Four Self-Expressive Strategies
Chapter 9 Inductive Learning
Chapter 10 Metaphorical Expression
Chapter 11 Pattern Maker
Chapter 12 Mind’s Eye
Part Five Interpersonal Strategies
Chapter 13 Reciprocal Learning
Chapter 14 Decision Making
Chapter 15 Jigsaw
Chapter 16 Community Circle
Part Six Four-Style Strategies
Chapter 17 Window Notes
Chapter 18 Circle of Knowledge
Chapter 19 Do You Hear What I Hear?
Chapter 29 Task Rotation
Postscript To Be Fair
About the Authors
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
THE BEST BOOK ON ENGAGING TEACHING STRATEGIES! PERIOD EXCLAMATION POINT!! If you are a teacher on the look-out for new teaching strategies to engage your students and help them grow, this is the book for you! Dr Silver, the late Richard Strong, and Matthew Perini have put together an INCREDIBLE resource for teachers!! The book contains twenty teaching strategies, step by step explanations for each, as well as strategy variations and teaching examples. I regularly use most of the strategies in this book and always purchase a copy to give to the student teachers that I have in my classroom (I also have them try their favorite strategies from the book: they love it to).