Strategies for Trusts and Estates in New York provides an authoritative, insider's perspective on the current estate planning practice in New York State. Featuring experienced partners from law firms across the state, this book guides the reader through the latest developments that affect trusts and estates practitioners, including ongoing changes to powers of attorney, malpractice issues, asset protection, and state and federal estate taxes. From meeting with clients and determining goals to developing trusts and protecting business interests, the authors detail the step-by-step process of creating an effective and customized client strategy. These top lawyers also discuss new trends in trusts, how to match the right trust to the right client, and tactics for contesting a trust or estate. Additionally, these leaders analyze recent significant cases, the challenges of working with high net worth clients, and the impact of today's economy on the practice area. The different niches represented and the breadth of perspectives presented enable readers to get inside some of the great legal minds of today, as these skilled lawyers offer up their thoughts on the keys to success within this ever-evolving field.
Inside the Minds provides readers with proven business intelligence from C-Level executives and lawyers (Chairman, CEO, CFO, CMO, Partner) from the world's most respected companies and firms nationwide. Each chapter is comparable to an essay/thought leadership piece and is a future-oriented look at where an industry, profession, or topic is heading and the most important issues for the future. Each author has been selected based upon their experience and C-level standing within the professional community.
1. Glenn G. Fox, Partner, Alston & Bird LLP - "The Multifaceted Practice of Trust and Estate Law in New York"
2. Don H. Twietmeyer, Partner, Hiscock & Barclay LLP - "Best Practice Considerations for Trusts and Estates Practitioners in a Changing Environment"
3. Damian M. Hovancik, Partner, Whiteman Osterman & Hanna LLP - "Comprehensive Tax, Business Law, and Estate Planning for New York Clients"
4. Richard J. Shapiro, Partner, Blustein, Shapiro, Rich & Barone LLP - "A Process-Driven Approach for a Successful Estate Planning Practice"
5. Jeffrey M. Johnstone, Partner, Harris, Chesworth, O'Brien, Johnstone, Welch & Leone LLP - "The Evolving Practice of Trust and Estate Law in New York"
6. Jeremy M. Smith, Partner, Couch White LLP - "A Discussion of New York Estate Planning"
7. Deidre G. O'Byrne, Partner, Withers Bergman LLP - "Legal Malpractice and the New York Estate Planning Lawyer"
8. Nancy R. Stone, Partner, Eaton & Van Winkle LLP - "A Holistic and Minimalist Approach to Trust and Estate Planning"
9. Sanford J. Schlesinger, Partner, Schlesinger Gannon & Lazetera LLP - "Techniques for Understanding and Adapting to the Ever-Changing Field of Estate Planning"
10. Amy J. Guss, Partner, Satterlee Stephens Burke & Burke LLP - "Strategic Tools for the Estate Planning Process"
Appendix A: Estate Planning Questionnaire
Appendix B: Sample Single Person Revocable Trust
Appendix C: Sample Pour Over Will
Appendix D: Sample Optional Disclaimer Trust Language for Will
Appendix E: Sample Power of Attorney and Statutory Major Gifts Rider
Appendix F: Sample Health Care Proxy Form
Appendix G: Sample Waiver of Elective Share Form
Appendix H: Sample Shareholders' Agreement
Appendix I: Sample Option Agreement
Appendix J: Agenda for Estate Planning Meeting
Appendix K: Goals Form
Appendix L: Fee Chart
Appendix M: Key Considerations in Choosing an Estate Planning/Elder Law Attorney
Appendix N: Personal Information Form
Appendix O: Simple Estate Planning Questionnaire
Appendix P: Combination Health Care Proxy and Living Will
Appendix Q: Firm Policy Statement
Appendix R: Exit Letter
Appendix S: Price v. C.I.R.
Appendix T: Hackl v. C.I.R.
Appendix U: Estate Planning Questionnaire
Appendix V: Estate of Schneider v. Finmann
Appendix W: Client Letter
Appendix X: Sample Provision for Letter to Client